Discuss Hey Everyone...been browsing for days! Please help! in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

B

BootleRed

Hi all, been browsing the site for days as im in the process of my first real tiling project! Had some really useful tips but ive hit a brick wall ( literally)!
I have removed tiles around my bath and half of the plaster has come away exposing breeze block. On the other walls where this occurred in a minor way ive patched with one coat plaster ( after 90% of forums said not to use bonding plaster) However...im now torn between the following ...

1. Patching with one coat, priming, then tiling ( using 300 x 300 tiles )
2. Removing all plaster from the bad wall adjacent to the bath and shower and fitting plasterboard...then the problem of tanking or not?
3. As above only fitting cement backer board but the problem appears to be that cement boards have to be fastened to battens and cannot be screwed directly onto block?

I am pretty confused reading so many different opinions and potentially scary outcomes if mistakes are made, however the tiles I have removed have been on plaster and board for 20 yrs plus and not fallen off. Long before aquaboard etc existed i guessing it was the only way so does it mean its not an option anymore?

Any advice would be very greatly appreciated as im stuck on which way to move forward...and the kids stink and really need a bath :smilewinkgrin:

Many Thanks - Dave

B

BootleRed

Well....didnt quite get the level of response I was hoping for but i'm sure everyones busy!! As an update ( if anyone cares !! ) Ive one coated the walls abd now fairly good. Hardibacker up on the shower wall and over the T & G floorboards. Just finished my first attempt at floor tiling and pretty pleased so far and just got perimeter cuts to do tomorrow night. Bought Keraflex from tile Giant...bit dear but went on ok but as a newbie wasnt quite sure on how "homogenous" it should be!?! Think I got the right consistency after watching a few clips on the net so fingers crossed it goes ok tomorrow night which leads me to my question..........

Is 24 hrs long enough to leave the Keraflex before kneeling on the floor tiles to do the cuts around the edge?

Thanks

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Hey Everyone...been browsing for days! Please help! in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

• Useful
Hi, Im looking for a recommendation for a liquid tanking. I have to use a liquid tanking...
Replies
Views
I started removing the tiles in my bathroom today and the majority of the plaster has come off...
Replies
Views
Tikkaaa
T
Hi All So around 10 years ago (i had no idea it was that long ago until i looked up the order...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hello, i hope someone can give me some advice please. I’m planning on tiling our bathroom walls...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB