Discuss Hi and Help. Non-stick skimmed bathroom walls in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

L

Lorem Ipsum

New boy here. In the later stages of a big refurb and extension project which will be my house! My Builder has a few bits left, but tiling and deco is down to me. Difficult with a full time job. Keen and careful, but new to tiling. Been on a 1 week tiling course as an intro, and have good basic tools. Very grateful for any help from the experienced please!

Working on tiling 2 bathrooms and a cloakroom, so I can get them fitted. Total 30m2 tiles for 2 floors, walls, boxing, traps, mosaics, showerbath recess, walk in shower walls (whose idea was this??). So no pressure. Already laid both floors 330 x 330 porcelains with Bal Rapidset flexi over ply on chipboard floors (not grouted yet) plus 50 x 50 mosaics onto ply boxing using Ardex D30 in 1 bathroom for inset basin and back to wall WC, with traps and 330 for tops. Looks smashing.

Problem is with showerbath recess and walk in shower recess walls, which are skimmed over either plasterboard stud or plastered block (4 months dry). Using a combination of same porcelain 330 square tiles and 25 x 25 mosaic on sheets. Was sold Ardex D-30 adhesive supposed to work on plaster, unprimed. I cleaned down well first but low areas I shallow-filled with D30 just cracked and fell off when dry. Then I well wire brushed whole test area and filled - same prob. So then I primed wall with Ardex Ardion 51. D30 sticks well to it, but running a scraper under when dry, it comes off easily with primer. Not confident it will hold a tile weight, let alone a wall!

Due to mix of wall types and cut/plumbed in bath and tray, don't want to rip walls out and replace with tile backer, but is there likely something odd in my plaster? Should I tank it and will tanking stick? Or is it the addy? Should I be using a cement based powder like the floor adhesive I was using? Am I going mad???

Cheers,

D

DHTiling

Hi there...that gear the walls are skimmed in is as porous as hell, prime the walls with a watered solution give it 3 or 4 coats to cut down on its moisture sucking properties,might need more coats...then tile with bal single part flexi adhesive this is slow setting so will give you plenty of time to play with the tiles and lasts in the bucket for ages and sets on the wall in about 16hrs..this should work for your project no probs and grout with flexi grout with those porcelain tiles...........dave..

L

Lorem Ipsum

Brilliant advice, thanks Dave. I suspected the skim was somehow the weak link, as the D30 has a lot of grab, but didn't think of coating with primer more than once. Thought I would have to hack the skim off or rebuild the room!

And thanks for the steer on the adhesive guys. So I will retire D30 from this job. (It has been emotional!) Once primed, is it OK to build up low spots with the BAL SPF? Up to 6mm to build up in one area.

Then would you recommend the Ardex WPC or BAL WP1 tanking kit? I need to do a 1700 recess walk in, and 2 sides over a 1700 showerbath.

Cheers,

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Hi and Help. Non-stick skimmed bathroom walls in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hi, don't know if anyone can help but I'm having real difficulty getting tiles to stick to the...
Replies
Views
I need help on what prep I need to do. I have read on the forums here and I seem to be going...
Replies
Views
I've got plasterers coming in next week to render the (brick) walls of my bathroom ready for it...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB