Discuss Hi everyone. 2 bathrooms to complete! in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

D

DDD

Hello, been reading for a while and getting lots of helpful advice. Especially when the builders were going to put 6mm ply on top of osb for tiling the floor!
We are having an extension built, meaning 2 new bathooms. I'm an experienced DIYer, done a couple of bathrooms in the past but basically made do with existing structure. This time having a blank canvas, trying to do everything correct. Already posted a question about screws for the marmox boards as was quite eager to start ordering everything I need.

This is what I have planned. Two bathrooms, main and ensuite.
Both have mix of block and stud wall, suspended timber floor (3 foot crawl space underneath). Ensuite will be a wet room.
12.5mm Marmox boards on walls and floor (might reduce down to 10mm for the floor). Floor has 18mm WBP, well screwed down/supported.
Fixing Marmox with adhesive (Mapei Keraquick) and screws/metal washers. UFH (Devi-mat), SLC (haven't chosen which one yet), then tile (300x450 porcelain on wall, 300x300 floor. (Mapei keraflex maxi for walls to give me a bit more working time).
Ensuite - using marmox showerlay, marmox boards, waterproof tape, Devi-mat/SLC, then similar tiles with matching 5cm mosiacs for showertray.
Currently deciding between Ardex or Mapei grout, plus whether any additional tanking is needed.

Is that everything, never done quite so much preparation before, but wanting this to be a good job.

D

B

bugs183

To be fair if you use Marmox use their self adhesive tape it sticks like nothing on earth!
I prefer the Mapei Mapalastic Defense, i reckon it sticks better than the Bal, but not used the Ardex.
Tape all the joints with the waterproof tape then apply which ever tanking with a short pile paint roller, it'll go on a treat and you'll have a bomb proof shower.
It's great seeing someone make the effort to do a great job!!

D

DDD

Thanks everyone, most of the stuff now on order, hopefully delivery won't take too long so I can get on with the work. Just got to find those elusive stainless steel screws - local shops trying to charge an arm and a leg for them. Am I right in thinking I need 4mm screws x length depending on substrate (30mm for floor, maybe long for wall). I've not got the washers yet and nowhere actually tells you the diameter needed

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Hi everyone. 2 bathrooms to complete! in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, New to the forum. I'm going to be installing a new corner, shower unit with tiled walls...
Replies
Views
F
Good evening all. I need to tile the kitchen floor over the bank holiday weekend. We are having...
Replies
Views
Futuregrout
F
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB