UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Hi Folks in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

sgwilko

I live in Sutton AT Hone, just outside Dartford.

I am an amateur tiler. having tiled a kitchen (very recently) and a bathroom in our old place back in 2004.

For the first time I am using large format porcelain tiles and cement based adhesive all from Topps in order to renovate our bathroom.

I've plumbed in the bath, and have started fixing the tiles to the walls - which were mostly in good nick after scraping the old tiles and adhesive off the walls. One wall took a bit of a hammering, and I patched this with a plaster repair kit, smoothed as best I could, allowed to set and sealed with bal primer.

Tiles have started going up - Zamora beige 30 x 60 - and they look stunning. I am just paranoid that they are so heavy, having never used this type of adhesive that you have to mix yourself.

According to the directions on this adhesive (topps trade adhesive) I shold use a 5mm thickness of adhesive. This seems to hold the tiles OK, but will it last? Told you I was paranoid - I've even been dreaming that the tiles are falling off the walls!!!

The reason I am so worried is that I stuck a cut piece of tile to the windowsill, which about a day later I was unhappy with, so took it up - it came up easily with the use of a screwdriver!!!

Am I worrying over nothing?

Sorry BTW for putting this in the intro section!!

Cheers.

Stuart.

G

Gazzer

the problem here is will the original substrate take the weight of the tiles ???

Quote "A common question, how much weight can my wall support, here are the reccommended max weight ratings in KG / m2

Plaster Skim on Plaster Board........20KG
Skim and Set Plaster...................28KG
Plaster Board.............................32KG
Sand and Cement.......................40KG
Cement Backer Board..................55KG
Hardibacker Board.......................45KG
Lightweight Tile Backer Board........40KG
Glass Reinforced Cement Sheet.....50KG
Gypsum Fibre Board.....................40KG

Remember to factor in the weight of the tile / m2 AND adhesive and grout

Grout.........2KG / m2
Adhesive....4KG / m2"

S

sgwilko

All walls are plaster skimmed breeze block.

Adhesive is applied to the wall with an applicator with a 5mm tooth depth - except for areas I cannot do this (end of run etc) so apply the adhesive to the back of the tile (and mostly over me too getting full tile coverage!).

I am sticking up one row at a time and allowing 24 hours to set befor applying the next row.

A box of 6 tiles - just over 1mSq weighs less than a 20KG bag of adhesive, so I guess 20KG/Sqm max.

G

Gazzer

http://www.tilersforums.com/tiling-forum/13313-all-questions-i-asked-when-i.html
Which trowel......

Different trowel's for different scenario's, as a guide........

Mosaics...........................4mm Notch
Kitchen Walls....................6mm Notch
Good Bathroom Walls......... 8mm Notch
Bad Bathroom Walls...........10mm Notch
Good Floors.....................10mm Notch
Reasonable Floors.............12mm Notch
Large Format Tiles............12mm Notch
Rough Floors....................13mm Notch

Dry Wall Area's................Notched Trowel
Wet Wall Area's...............Thin Solid Bed Trowel
Floors / External Area's.....Thick Solid Bed Trowel
Tiles over 300 x 300.........Large Format Trowel
Mosaics upto 100 x 100....4mm Mosaic Trowel

S

sgwilko

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!! Had to drill through two of the tiles last night in prep for fitting the sink. These tiles have been put up on boxwork I made to hide plumbing etc as I am fitting a sink with a semi pedestal, and the waste is routed internally.

I sealed the boxwork prior to hanging the tiles. The tiles were very tough to drill, and even with the drill bit banging about through the tile the adhesive held fine.

At least I'll know for next time...........

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Hi Folks in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

• Friendly
I'm going to be installing Marmox multi boards, on two (internal walls) I'll use 4mm, just so I...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.