UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss hi there as new member, could one of you tiling experts give me some advice please in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

Mike Mike

Re: hi there as new member, could one of you tiling experts give me some advice plea

If you grout and silicone then the likelihood is the grout will crack when (not if) the tray moves in service, and this will dislodge the silicone, rendering the seal breached. Only silicone in that application. Tray can move and the seal will remain intact.

By the way, did you tank the floor before installing the tray, and the walls in the shower area? If no, then it is even more important that you obtain, and maintain, a watertight seal around the tray.

Final question, is Jerry tiling it, or your neighbours, Tom and Barbara Goode :lol: (Sorry Margo, couldn't resist).

M

margo

Re: hi there as new member, could one of you tiling experts give me some advice plea

Thanks guys, will folow your advice. Another question on the same theme. Finished tiling the main wall except obviously the last line of tiles that goes on the base. I have tiled against the corner of the wall leaving approx 2 mm gap. do i grout this gap before tiling the adjacent wall. I was going to leave a 2 mm gap butting up and then siliconing.

M

Mike Mike

Thanks guys, will folow your advice. Another question on the same theme. Finished tiling the main wall except obviously the last line of tiles that goes on the base. I have tiled against the corner of the wall leaving approx 2 mm gap. do i grout this gap before tiling the adjacent wall. I was going to leave a 2 mm gap butting up and then siliconing.

If you have solid walls and concrete floors you only need to grout corners where walls meet and where walls meet the floor.

If you have sheet material walls (plasterboard, backerboards, plywood etc) then you need to silicone (and not grout) the corners where walls meet, and also where the walls meet the floor.

tommyzooom

TF
Arms
Ireland

I would silicone the corners what ever substrate you have, Expansion/contraction will occur regardless.
And no, you do not need to grout the corner if is to be covered by the next wall, the gap (or silicone joint) is there to releive expansion stresses etc.
I would tile all 4 walls, then grout, leaving the internal corners clear (or rake out any bits before the grout fully sets) then, when fully dry, silicone the corners/base

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to hi there as new member, could one of you tiling experts give me some advice please in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I’m halfway through tiling a shower cubicle at home. First time doing any tiling. I’ve used...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Hi, New to the forum. I'm going to be installing a new corner, shower unit with tiled walls...
Replies
Views
Hi, We are in the process of having a new kitchen fitted and as part of the job we included...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.