UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Hi Wanting some advice in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

O

Owee

Hi
I am new here and want to say what a brilliant site this is.
Enthusiastic DIYer so decided to tile the bathroom myself. questions are..... plasterer only put hardwall on the walls and said that will be fine to tile onto. from reading the forum it seems its not advised by BG or pro tilers. I have already tiled one wall so do i panic and rip the tiles off :( or will i be ok. I didnt prime it either but have used powedered adhesive from Butech (bal i been told). what should i do?
Is it normal practice to mitre external corners and around windows or do pro tilers prefer to run a tile trim. i have been bought some quite expensive trim from porcelanosa but i do like the flush look of mitred corners.
and finally i used some sand/cement to build out the dips in the wall (not easy to put on walls is it!!) how long before i can tile?
Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.
Owee

T

Time's Ran Out

:welcome: - Thistle Hardwall is a undercoat plaster and is not suitable for fixing tiles directly to, and if it had a 2mm coat of finish you will only have a 20kg weight limit for tiles and adhesives. The outcome is in your hands.
These days it is not normal practice to mitre tiles around all corners - but IMHO is a far superior method of producing a 'class' finish to tiling work, and as you mentioned the suppliers of your tile trim charge a fortune.
Was the sand and cement used ontop of the undercoat plaster - which dries from the surface and may take up to 3 weeks to cure.

Have fun and enjoy the experience.

O

Owee

thanks for the reply. what would be the worst case in this scenario?tiles will fall off 6mths down the line?
having said that, mrs got tired of me faffing round and called a tiler to finish off and he was happy to carry on tiling onto it as long as it was primed with the BAL primer. his point of view was hardwall is basically mixed sand/cement with a few additives so makes no difference?!?! quick call to a plasterer and he said he has always left it at that and never skimmed a wall that is to be tiled and he has never had any comebacks. is he fobbing me??

I do like the mitred corners but at the same time the tile trim does feel like a very nice product, the weight etc i was told the cheapy ones discolour (chrome) but having said that i do have the receipt so can always return them.
yes the s/c was ontop of the hardwall plaster, looks like i got some waiting to do.

All in all have thoroughly enjoyed it, just takes me twice as long as you guys!!
Thanks

T

Time's Ran Out

http://www.british-gypsum.com/pdf/PDS-103-02 Thistle Hardwall.pdf

Go with your own feelings - that's why you've asked - all I can reply is a personal opinion of fixing tiles for 38 years and the above PDF from Thistle which clearly states under Tiling on page 2 the answer I've given.
When it fails who do you blame the adhesive manufacturer or plaster manufacturer who both state the limits that their products will work within and be used for.

Del W

TF
Arms
Canterbury
I have had to replace tiles that had debonded from the hardwall.Commercial job so they were cutting corners on the price.Site manager wasnt happy watching me peel the tiles off the wall 5 at a time with no effort.Then he had to get a plasterer back.You might be lucky,you might not.A tile falling on your head hurts ! :bigcry::rolleyes5:

W

White Room

thanks for the reply. what would be the worst case in this scenario?tiles will fall off 6mths down the line?
having said that, mrs got tired of me faffing round and called a tiler to finish off and he was happy to carry on tiling onto it as long as it was primed with the BAL primer. his point of view was hardwall is basically mixed sand/cement with a few additives so makes no difference?!?! quick call to a plasterer and he said he has always left it at that and never skimmed a wall that is to be tiled and he has never had any comebacks. is he fobbing me??

I do like the mitred corners but at the same time the tile trim does feel like a very nice product, the weight etc i was told the cheapy ones discolour (chrome) but having said that i do have the receipt so can always return them.
yes the s/c was ontop of the hardwall plaster, looks like i got some waiting to do.

All in all have thoroughly enjoyed it, just takes me twice as long as you guys!!
Thanks

Absolute Tosh....

O

Owee

Hi guys

Hardwall the name gives the impression its tough as old boots but looks like it is'nt.

Thanks for all the advice. looks like i been royally screwed :( prob is so many rogue/dodgy traders out there, its hard to differentiate the dodgy ones from the good ones.

Wish there was a forum like this for all the trades but i know sparkys are very cagey about their knowledge,
Best regards..
Owee

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
Personally i would knock the sand and cement off the top of the hardwall,can't see the sand cement sticking to it, its heavier for 1 thing, and is it not gypsum based, gypsum, the 2 don't go togeather well! Why didn't u put more hardwall on top, also why did the plasterer not get ut straight in the 1st place !

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=53.861618,-2.206808

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Hi guys

Hardwall the name gives the impression its tough as old boots but looks like it is'nt.

Thanks for all the advice. looks like i been royally screwed :( prob is so many rogue/dodgy traders out there, its hard to differentiate the dodgy ones from the good ones.

Wish there was a forum like this for all the trades but i know sparkys are very cagey about their knowledge,
Best regards..
Owee

Not our sparky's - Electricians Forum | Electrical Advice Forum | An electrical forum for electricians in the UK | Electricians Forum, or our plumbers, Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice | Plumbers Forums | A forum for plumbers advice in the UK. :)

W

White Room

Personally i would knock the sand and cement off the top of the hardwall,can't see the sand cement sticking to it, its heavier for 1 thing, and is it not gypsum based, gypsum, the 2 don't go togeather well! Why didn't u put more hardwall on top, also why did the plasterer not get ut straight in the 1st place !

Totally agree, you don't put sand/cement onto gypsum plaster.......

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Hi Wanting some advice in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, We're currently adding an en-suite to a downstairs bedroom, everything is going well so far...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views
Hey everyone. Hope you are well. I want to learn how to tile and do a fairly basic bit of...
Replies
Views
Hi there Homeowner here who recently had my kitchen tiled by a professional tiler. We’ve been...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.