Discuss Hints for finding work in That London in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

Marti

Hello all.

I'm moving to London in a month or so and desperately need to find some work.

I'm moving to Lewisham so I don't know if that makes any difference where I should be job hunting. I don't drive but I'm pretty far in to my lessons so hope to be looking toward my test in the next few months.

I'm 26 year old and from Newcastle. I Started serving my time when I was 19 and currently work with/for a mate. We usually do bathrooms, kitchens etc. At my last firm, before it went under, we done bathroom bashing and stuff too as well as big shop floors and car show rooms.

I'm keeping my eyes out for labouring work as well as needs must.

Any tips?

Thanks for any help

M

martyof

Hey Marti, I moved to London 5 years ago and had the same problem in getting set up initially. It takes time to get in with builders and build up that relationship. In the mean time you can always try recruitment agencies. It's micky mouse jobs for micky mouse money but might do ya til you find something better. At the minute I've found things pretty slack, the jobs come through but just not as often as you'd like them to. London is littered with shady tradesmen especially tilers so you have that headache to compete with too. It's January in the worst recession ever so be prepared. Lots of agencies are supplying for the olympic site, keep checking in with the job section here. You can try things like rated people, my hammer etc, these might turn something up from time to time that's worth the effort....hope this is of some help

M

mikethetile

welcome and good luck

im a Londoner , though I moved out a good few years ago, martys view is accurate. London is a hard place to crack, you can easily travel all over greater London from lewisham and dont need a motor but you do need to be able to carry your kit on public transport, tbh moneys not good and will get worse once the olympic complex is handed over end of this year/ early next year, try London out but dont burn any bridges with newcastle as you may find more oppurtunity where you are now

M

Marti

Cheers Marty. That's lots of help yea

I'm gonna start to scour the agencies I reckon.

I didn't think driving would be that big an issue really. As long as people are willing to let you leave your gear, if you trust them, then you only have to get the gear to each job once I suppose.

I know what you mean Mike, but truth be told, it's partly to do with following my girlfriend down as well. It's not only work I'm finding hard to come by. Ha.

I know it's probably the worst possible time to move down, but there's nothing on up here and I've got 3 months free(ish) accomodation down there with her so you know...

Cheers to both of you. I'll always have a couple of builders up here I can get a bit of graft off so just want to give it a shot down there when I have the chance. A taste of the big city or something. ha

T

Time's Ran Out

Lewisham - I bet its changed a bit since I was there 41 years ago!
Reggae and soul music was popular then and I know my interest in a lovely young lady at the time kept me there - but fortunately I found my vocation in tiling 120 miles away in Bournemouth and left for a better life:lol:.

Been back in Newcastle now for 38years and I wouldn't want to go anywhere else!

Good Luck with the work and enjoy your time in SE London.

Reply to Hints for finding work in That London in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello I'm new to tiling my first flooring job it's 42sqm in 600x 200 floor tiles (wood effect)...
Replies
Views
hello to everybody, how's it going? I'm new here just signed up and wanted to know what...
Replies
Views
Hi there Homeowner here who recently had my kitchen tiled by a professional tiler. We’ve been...
Replies
Views
I’m halfway through tiling a shower cubicle at home. First time doing any tiling. I’ve used...
Replies
Views
L
I would like some advise. We booked a tiler for a new build with quite a lot of work to be done...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Hints for finding work in That London
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.