UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Homebase tiles, this can't be right! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Bathfix Bob

TF
Arms
I've been fitting & tiling bathrooms for about 3 years now and in that time there have been at least two bathrooms with tiles from Homebase.

The tile sizes seem to drift up and down like mad, I've had no choice today but to take a thin slither off at least half the tiles I fixed. :mad2:

Take them back I hear you ask?

I have done, all they have are dregs. These tiles are now discontinued, I did the bathroom 2 years ago but she only wanted 3 walls tiling, now she asked me to tile the remaining one and I was lucky to get the tiles in time before the last were sold.

Batch numbers are probably shot to hell, but its seems every time I use Homebase tiles I get this problem.

Even tiles out of the same box had a few different size ones, only 1mm ish but enough to knock everything out of kilter. :prrr:

T

Time's Ran Out

Unfortunatly for Homebase, every bathroom I do from now on and they're asking me where to get tiles from I shall have to tell them to give Homebase a wide birth.

This wall I've just finished is fine but not to my usual standard.

Bob - the bathroom is to your usual standard - its just the tiles that are not!
I've fixed expensive handmade tiles for years which are 'rustic' and its a look the people are after.
I've fixed cheap tiles from everwhere and its our job to make them look good.
You do the best job you can with the best materials available and fix the tiles that the customer likes.
Sometimes this job is a JOB and we have to pay the bills.

T

tfs

This is very common in cheaper tiles (I guess you get what you pay for)

For this reason I keep well clear of anything made by Brittish Ceramic, their bumpy white range are a nightmare to work with especialy if your working to a 2mm groutline.

Tolerances

Current British & European Standards for ceramic tiles define tolerances for dimensions of tiles. These vary depending on tile type and size as shown below:
Tolerance for porcelain tile
(BIa) or vitrified tile (BI)Tolerance for glazed tile
porous body (BIII) (non-lug)10x10 cm tile 1mm0.75mm20x20 cm tile 1.5mm1 mm30x30 cm tile 1.8mm1.5mm

Tolerances are also defined for centre curvature of tiles. These too vary depending on the type and size of tile.
Tolerance for porcelain tile
(BIa) or vitrified tile (BI)Tolerance for glazed tile
porous body (BIII) (non-lug)10x10 cm tile .70 mm to -.70 mm.70 mm to -.42 mm20x20 cm tile 1.40 mm to -1.40 mm1.40 mm to -.85 mm30x30 cm tile2.12 mm to -2.12 mm2.12 mm to –1.27 mm
(Negative curvature values indicate concave tiles)
The tolerances for tile fixing set down within British Standard BS5385 for tile fixing are demanding and as a result of the differences in manufacturing and fixing tolerances, special consideration has to be given to fixing vitrified tiles to walls.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

coojert

BUYER BEWARE!!
Hi, I would just like to add that I recently brought from Homebase about 10 sq mtrs of wall tiles for a bathroom I am renovating and after grouting these I noticed that there was a glazing issue i.e all the tiles had varying degrees of glaze or in some case none at all!

I had ensured prior to purchase that all the tiles were from the same batch!

I contaced my local Homebase store where the tiles were purchased and they have basically fobbed me off to Customer Relations as my compensation claim will be more than £30.

Having supplied photos, packing and my receipt to the local store, Customer Relations are now asking me to send all this information again via Royal Mail

Has anyone else come across this problem before and if so what advice can you give me

Thanks in advance

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Homebase tiles, this can't be right! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi - looking for a bit of advice if anyone has experienced this. Hands up I am completely...
Replies
Views
Hi there - I’m hoping to get some advice. I’m a builder, based in Melbourne, Australia. I’ve...
Replies
Views
Matthew7
M

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Homebase tiles, this can't be right!
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.