UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss horizontal gap between shower tray and wall in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

squeezethecroc

[h=2]Hello everybody[/h]

I have a horizontal gap of about an inch along one side of the shower tray and the wall. The other two sides of the shower tray are tiled and siliconed onto the tray, the forth has the shower door. I've had a leak along the horizontal gap. This had been tiled, but the tiles had cracked (presumably because of movement between the tray and the tiles). I've removed these tiles but I need to put new ones down as moving the shower ray or building a new stud wall isn't possible.

I presume I need flexible adhesive for the tiles. What kind/make is best? Do the tiles need to fit under the wall tiles and over the shower tray, and if so, by how much?. Do I need to add a waterproof membrane to the concrete base first, and if so, do I need the liquid stuff? Finally, do I use silicone instead of grouting ti fill all the gaps?

Any help would be much appreciated.

S

squeezethecroc

No, it was done by a "professional" builder/tiler. Unfortunately, it took a long time before the water leaked through the living room ceiling below and I can't get the builder to come back and repair his botched job.

I attach a coubple of pictures (they're a bit out of focus as I took them on my mobile phone.....) Image0018.jpg Image0019.jpg

P

Perry

I looks like the cut is far to small don't know long since it was finished is there no way yo can take him to small claims court if not I would try to get a proper tiler if you put where you are from in your profile some one in here maybe able to help you other than re do the tiling again you might be able to remove the bottom cuts and the row above and put in two rows of cuts 1 say 3/4 of a tile then one of just over 1/4 if you have more tiles

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
First thing you need to do is investigate why you now have an inch gap between the tiles and your tray. If you've had a leak and its gone as far as causing a disturbance downstairs then it sounds a little more serious then just filling the gap. At a guess i would say that the bathroom floor is probably chipboard. The tray was fitted directly to this, the leak has made the chipboard swell and deteriorate and that is what has caused the gap. That being the case then the tray needs to come out and the floor needs repairing.

Water coming through the ceilling, fine. A stone resin shower tray coming through your ceilling with you stood in it, not so good.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to horizontal gap between shower tray and wall in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello All, I have a shower tray installed and it is sitting away from the wall. I am going to...
Replies
Views
Hi, We're currently adding an en-suite to a downstairs bedroom, everything is going well so far...
Replies
Views
Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.