Discuss How annoyed would you be? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

mz30

TF
Arms
liverpool
Gets a call from a builder i have worked for over 10yrs yesterday,first call this year,can i go and price a job in his sons new house ,told him i would pop round today to give him a quote rings 30 mins before he says he will meet me there i arrive no sign of him but notice the door open and a guy coming out ask him if the builder is there and he says no ,then i notice him carrying a galaxy black tile under his arm i pop my head in and the whole ground floor is tiled in galaxy black over 100m2 so goes back to my van calls him and asks whats going on he says its his sons mate so he got the job,i ask what he wants me to price and he says the chimmney breast needs tiling in slate,i said well ask the guy who's there ,he replied the slate is very thick and he only has a grinder and its not big enough to go through and you have one of those big wet cutting machines.

How angry would you be,bear in mind i tiled all of this sons old house,his other sons and daughters house,his mother and mother in laws house the builders own house plus properties he owned ,plus have done all his work for years at a good price.

C

Colour Republic

If the the other tiler is a mate of his sons there is very little you can do about it and **** happens. The fact is he doesn't 'owe' you this work. However he should never have asked you to go round and price the bit the 'other' tiler couldn't do, as I would hope he would have been embarrassed, it seems not and maybe he thinks he's doing you a favour by giving you a 'little' bit of work.

But he's done it now, so if I was you I'd be inclined to quote for the work at full whack as if it was any other client.

mz30

TF
Arms
liverpool
If the the other tiler is a mate of his sons there is very little you can do about it and **** happens. The fact is he doesn't 'owe' you this work. However he should never have asked you to go round and price the bit the 'other' tiler couldn't do, as I would hope he would have been embarrassed, it seems not and maybe he thinks he's doing you a favour by giving you a 'little' bit of work.

But he's done it now, so if I was you I'd be inclined to quote for the work at full whack as if it was any other client.

Thats what got my back up more than not getting the rest of the work,the fact that the other tiler could'nt do the job as he didnt have the right tools as it was obviously offered to him first.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
My thinking is along the same lines as CR here. Id be pretty annoyed at could look at it that the son is trying to help his mate out.
Price the job as you would or need to and have a friendly chat about what work he has on. See if you can get another quote out of him maybe. Then see how it goes.

But if he brags that his busy and you get nothing then any quote in the future goes as your standard rate or whatever you wanna bump up to.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
I can't understand why you are angry. Work is work isn't it. If you are busy enough to turn it down do so. If not then do the job. You lost the floor ... So what. Did he ow you the work, did he give you the order then renege, did he give you any indication that he wanted you to do the floor... It doesn't appear so from your op and if he did I could understand your frustration. The other tiler cant do part of the job, you can... If the other gu could doit he would have and you wouldn't get anything at all out of it, at least this way you get some work and some wages...

mz30

TF
Arms
liverpool
I can't understand why you are angry. Work is work isn't it. If you are busy enough to turn it down do so. If not then do the job. You lost the floor ... So what. Did he ow you the work, did he give you the order then renege, did he give you any indication that he wanted you to do the floor... It doesn't appear so from your op and if he did I could understand your frustration. The other tiler cant do part of the job, you can... If the other gu could doit he would have and you wouldn't get anything at all out of it, at least this way you get some work and some wages...

Ajax am not that bothered about the floor to be honest its none of my buisness,the fact that he asked me to price for something the other tiler couldnt do was what got my back up,the fact of the matter is i have always bent over backwards to accomadate this guy,worked evenings ,weekends even christmas eve, for him to call me and ask me to do a job when theres already a tiler employed on the project, i think that is a total lack of respect .

Also how would this other guy feel if i went on his job and made what he done look shabby(not saying that would happen but it could),Just doesnt sit right with me.

D

DHTiling

If you were a tiler then you would be... yes work is work but it is also a builder taking the pi$$ .. simples as that..

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to How annoyed would you be? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Hello! At the completion of my new kitchen tile installation, the grout I had selected (dark...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
We had our loft bathroom done a month ago and are having issues with the tiler (recommended on a...
Replies
Views
Vinny Kehoe
V
I'm having my kitchen renovated and the tiler came last week and did the floor tiles. They're...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB