UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss How do I fit a bath and tile around it? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

E

edwardk

bathroom_oct2011_01.jpg

Hi there,
I had a question about putting in a bath.
I have a Roca Vythos bath (see pic above) and was planning on adding some studwork around it so that the top rim sits on the studowrk all the way around.
I was going to carry on using Marmox board and box in the ends (bath in centre line of that wall).

Is this a good approach?

Then I can tile the side of the bath.

Do you normally allow for the thickness of the tile - ie so the finish tile surface is flush with the rim of the bath.
Was planning on fitting either Marmox or Ditra mat on the floor (got some marble for the floor and limsetone for the walls etc.

Is it worth making a small open cupboard at the right hand end?

Also I have some plasterboard adheseive and I was thinking of using some with the Marmox and bonding the Marmox to the blockwork for the small section of bare blockwork above the bath (until it hits the slope/MR plasterboard.

Any hints ?
Do and don't ?!
THanks
Ed

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
personally id bring the studding out around the bath 4 or 5 inch,so you have a shelf around the bath,i think it looks better,but its just my taste.
about the cupboard,again its up to you,people like them for access for the plumbing,with me,id just tile through,and hope the plumber knew his stuff ;)

i think you can stick the marmox on with drywall adhesive,it is good stuff,not 100% sure,but someone on here will know

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
personally id bring the studding out around the bath 4 or 5 inch,so you have a shelf around the bath,i think it looks better,but its just my taste.
about the cupboard,again its up to you,people like them for access for the plumbing,with me,id just tile through,and hope the plumber knew his stuff ;)
i think you can stick the marmox on with drywall adhesive,it is good stuff,not 100% sure,but someone on here will know
as everyone has said,stick the boards on with cement based addy.:coolgleamA:
heres a bath i did,its a £100 bathroom suite,done with cheap white tiles and a bit of glass mosaic,think it makes it look a bit better,but its taste.
polish,nice bathroom mate

Attachments

• P1020717.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 55
E

edwardk

Thanks - I've bonded on 10mm Marmox with Ardex X77 (grey cement based addy - fast set) with silicon between the sheets.
Looks ok.
Next - planning on fixing a bit of wood all the way around the wall at 540mm high off the floor level for the bath edge to sit on.
Will carry on with the studwork at the front too - not sure if it will be flush yet or 100mm out to form a shelf.
Am leaning towards flush as I don't think I have alot of room around the loo pan to sit. How much width do you need (loo is a Roca Laura).
THen will fit a studwork wall out from the edge of the shower to catch the shower door.
Busy times !

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to How do I fit a bath and tile around it? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I am in the middle of renovating my bathroom. First of its kind for me! The walls were...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm trying to assess what prep is needed on the walls for my kitchen backsplash. We'll be...
Replies
Views
Hi, new to forum and first post, after some advice. Recently had the chamber of my fireplace...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
How do I fit a bath and tile around it?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.