Discuss How do you know you've got a good tradesman? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Daz

I've been deliberating with regards to this thread, but feel it is worthwhile so bear with me please.

I was asked to take a look at an en-suite that has been "prepped & tiled" by a "tradesman" who was recommended by a local builders merchant. The customer was not happy with the lippage and the uneven grout lines, so asked me to provide my opinion before the job progressed to second fix.

I had to advise that my biggest concerns were the number of tiles that sounded hollow, the lack of tanking in the shower area as well as the poor tiling finish.

The customer discussed the issues with the "tradesman" and he agreed that he was unable to deliver the quality that they are expecting and walked from the job.

I commenced the removal of the tiles today, not expecting to discover the abysmal effort that can be seen below.
The majority of the tiles came off whole and it only took 1.5 hours to remove 22sqm including the disposal into the skip. The biggest issue has been getting the adhesive off the walls :mad2:.

This guy may be a good plumber, but the tiles were just falling off the walls and could have caused a serious injury to the customer (or their grandchildren!). I'm sure that some were just balanced and it was only the grout that was holding them in.

If builders merchants and tile shops are recommending "their mates" how does a customer know that they have a good tradesman?
What do you guys do to re-assure your prospects that you are the real deal?

IMG_0281.jpg IMG_0280.jpg IMG_0282.jpg IMG_0287.jpg IMG_0284.jpg IMG_0286.jpg IMG_0288.jpg IMG_0274.jpg IMG_0285.jpg IMG_0283.jpg IMG_0289.jpg

I've posted this in general chat because I feel that it is only fair for potential clients to see what poor quality and ill-informed tradesmen they could end up with if they don't know the correct questions to ask.

S

steve187

I think you were spot on when you decided to remove all the tiles, they would have fallen down for sure.
I like picture number three, what a lovely pattern he made with the adhesive, he was a real dot and dab man looking at the backs of the tiles.

with regards to people knowing if they have a good trades-person, how many ask for references or to look at some pictures of your work. good luck with the prep.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
most of my work is now recomendation, i think people are becoming more savy in there choice of tradesman.

the cold call customers i get , i allways run through ever aspect of the job , explaining in grate detail how im going to produce the end result they deserve

after completing a job i allways talk to the customer and ask them why they went with me, and they allways say it is because of the detail i went through with them during the quoteing process.

T

Time's Ran Out

The problem - as I see it - is the same with all walks of life.
It's only when you are dissatisfied with the standard of work completed - on your car, by the dentist, on your tax repayment, or a case of mistaken identity that we complain.
Life holds no guarantees and one recommendation is only a guide to that persons opinion.

There has been some excellent work displayed in the Tilers Forum over the 2 years I've been here and the total no of views in the JOTM threads shows an interest in some quality work.
It's the research by the customer that needs to be done prior to the choice of 'Tiler' and how many are chosen on price.

Daz - prehaps all the questions they should ask are here - Tilers Forum .:thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Brinkley

daz i reckon a lot of people out there can talk the talk and can basically talk there way into jobs .
A lot of the time people get tiling jobs not because they are right or prepared for the job but because they are in the right place at the right time . Being good at one trade ie plumbing,plastering doesnt make you a tiler .
This is why we see so much poor workmanship anyone can tile cant they??

Reply to How do you know you've got a good tradesman? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
We had our loft bathroom done a month ago and are having issues with the tiler (recommended on a...
Replies
Views
Vinny Kehoe
V
Hi I am after some advice and opinion if the quality of our recently installed tiles is of an...
Replies
Views
Hello, looking for advice and what to do next. Have had main bathroom installed via a local...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
How do you know you've got a good tradesman?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.