UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss How high is too high? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Al@Lifetiles

TF
Arms
OK sketchy details so far but thought I would put it out there anyway. Looking at a job on Monday which has a lot of tiling in it. The most interesting part is a stairwell from basement to upper floors which I believe is curved. Client and architect want the entire wall wrapped in stone. It is approx 8m from basement to upstairs. Is there any issues with weight of tiles going up that far ie all resting on each other or is it just normal weight restrictions?
Never tiled a wall this big.... Any thoughts welcome

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
I'd say 6' any higher and I get scared!!!!

But as for the tiling, they're not resting on each other per se. They're stuck to the wall. Clearly give much more thought to the strength of the substrate which is sort of resting on its self. If a dodgy bit at the top comes loose, it would have a knock-on effect on the bottom.

But providing the substrate is strong, your tiles can be left ungrouted if you think about it. Each one is stuck to its own bit of the wall. It's only the fact that you grout them that sort of makes it all become one big sheet of tile and grout.

If you walk around Spain you see buildings tiled inside and out and even round pillars that are 100's of foot high you see tiled. Shopping centres and the likes over here often tile 3 or 4 floors high in various points hiding structural beams, pillars, support bars, joists, etc etc etc

So there's no height limit. You just need to give a lot of thought to the fixing of them, and even more to how strong the background is.

Just my view - and I don't tile these days! So wait for the lads to anser too. I'm sure it'll be the same sort of reply though. :)

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to How high is too high? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Hello! At the completion of my new kitchen tile installation, the grout I had selected (dark...
Replies
Views
Hi, New member and rookie homeowner from Australia here. I am in the middle of my first...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.