Discuss How low can I go? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

Pebbs

Aye it is worse than bad, I priced the job up a year ago for them, they won the contract and start next week. Then they ring me and say we want you to cost engineer it for us. How much do you want to save (normally between 10-15%) they want to knock the stone and ceramic package down by 40% :yikes: Ive done all the stone again, changed the tiles over, and now need to cut down the labour rates on the ceramics. Its going to be a long night they want it by 8am tomorrow.

Lynn

T

Time's Ran Out

I don't believe that it is all about price for your company Lynn.
They came to you for the quality of previous contracts and asked you to tender 12 months ago - and they won the contract.
The figures being quoted are for single/small size businesses without all the overheads that you will have.
Only you really know how low you can go and at the very least break even:yikes:
If you set your stall out today, they will want it that price next time - a slippery slope.

P

Pebbs

Aww John if only every contract was high end, you still got to deal with the bread and butter, either that or starve. What happens is a lot of the time is the package is split, I get the stone and marble and then someone else gets the ceramics. Then you watch them muck it up, nick your adhesives, and generally battle with them. So this time I have taken the bull by the horns and try and win both parts of the work. I dont know if it will pay off, and I may only break even on that side. Lets see what happens.

John let me know when your down this way, and we can see if the coffee meets your exacting standards!

Lynn

Reply to How low can I go? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi. I'm relatively new to tiling, and have begun offering it as a service alongside my existing...
Replies
Views
D
Hi All, Been considering going it alone for a while now. How much can I realistically earn a...
Replies
Views
Unused Account 1
U
Long term lurker to the forum. I usually tile kitchen splashbacks or tile for family but now im...
Replies
Views
RDTiling
R
The growing popularity of “Thin Porcelain Tile” Now that industry professionals have coined a...
Replies
Views
Rizzle from the Portizzle
R
J
Hi all, Following some excellent advice from you in 2012, I successfully laid approximately...
Replies
Views
WetSaw
W

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
How low can I go?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.