UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss how much to charge??????????? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

marc shunter

hello...........
ive just recently started doing tiling and hope to make a living out of it,but im not sure how much to charge................is it best to charge a day rate or by metre? and how much is a day rate? and how much by the metre? i live and will be working in the south of england ie.sussex

i would be very grateful if someone could give me there opinion on pricing

thanks

G

grumpygrouter

Whether you charge day rate or per m2 depends on the job. As for rates in your area, I'm afraid I can't help on that one - I'm in the north of Scotland.

Usually, if you have a large easy shape a m2 rate can work out better for you where as a smaller or more complex shape regarding cuts and such may work out better for you as a day rate.

Unfortunately, what you can charge is dictated by the market forces and competition in your area. The quicker you get the more likely that m2 rate will apply as you can lay more in a day and earn more than you would if you just charged a straight day rate.

Grumpy

L

Leatherface

Always a hard one mate.
First as a new tiler you will want to get some jobs under your belt and experience and worry that if you go in too dear that you will not get the job.
Just as a guide here are a few prices :

Plain ceramic tiles, not large format : £xx to £xx per metre plus materials
Large format ceramic tiles ( walls) : £xx per metre plus materials
Porcelain £xx to £xx per metre plus materials - depending upon size, thickness and if they need sealing
Natural stone £xx to £xx per metre plus materials.

Work out a price relating to meterage rate plus materials. Then think about how long it will take you , then work back to convert this into your daily rate. then you can decide if you want to up or lower the price to make your wage.

One word of advice .... don't go in too cheap. This will be no good for your self esteem working for peanuts. The customer will still want a good job doing, so charge to reflect this. Also tilers who work for peanuts and under-cut everyone else are doing the trade a dis-service. I get really annoyed when I hear of tilers working for £xx a day plus materials. If I wanted to earn that I could get a job in a warehouse.

DO A GOOD JOB AT A FAIR PRICE - GET A GOOD REP - AND THE WORK WILL COME

Last edited by a moderator:
L

Leatherface

Cheers,
don't be scared of giving a realistic price. Going in too cheap can sometimes work against you- customer may think you are a fly by night.
Just quoted a 60 sq m limestone floor , tiles are 600 x 400 x 20mm thick.
Quoted 35 per metre plus materials. Plus self levelling pert of the floor.
Customer is paying for materials and self leveller and sealer up front : £700
They are paying me £xxxx cash for tiling and self levelling labour.

Would have been quite easy to go in cheap to get the job - take a gamble and put in a fair and realistic price for your work

T

tysfoot

Im new to tiling and i dont have enough regular work yet so im starting a new job in two weeks 6pm - 10pm mon to fri pays about £*** so then ive got all day every day, probably put 6 - 7 hours a day in tiling so i will be happy charging £*** a day rate.

Before xmas i was always underchaging cos i felt bad, i was working on £xx a day. made me feel sick sometimes, got my moral right down....

NOT ANYMORE

T

Tilestiles

Looking about right price wise if you are around £20 per m2 or around £100 - £120 per day rate. Be careful though if you do natural stone jobs and mosaics in particular as these will take longer to do normally. A good guide for these is you should charge to fit per m2 what the tile cost per m2. That is, mosaics can cost sometimes in the region of £80 per m2 so you should be looking to charge much more than £20 per m2 for these as you would with natural stone which can cost around £50 per m2. Should charge more for porcelain per m2 to fit also because harder to cut. Hope this helps!!

T

tops111

Just taken the plunge myself and seem to be getting mainly refferals with a day rate of £xx aday or xxpsqm inc mats( ceramics). so i think your about right. Just dont undersell yourself and dont worry about time ,just do a job you know is good. The rest will follow. Still bit slow myself,but getting there hopefully. All the luck in the world to ya pal!:8:

Reply to how much to charge??????????? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
I have been researching this for days and need some help. My garage has a concrete floor. I live...
Replies
Views
Tiling Rates Per Square Meter / Per Day – How much do tilers charge? I know this is a hard...
Replies
Views
Hello, i hope someone can give me some advice please. I’m planning on tiling our bathroom walls...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
how much to charge???????????
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.