Discuss how to calculate area of circles etc in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

tfs

As Im not working today I though I would make a quick how to for any newbies or anyone who may not know what formula to use for calcuting tile quanties for design works which include tiling circular areas. I know to some, this may seem basic but, I have heard this type of question many times so hopefully some of you will find this to be usefull.

Radius = centre to outside of circle
Diameter = distance from one side to the opposite side of circle
Circumference = distance around the circle

Whenever calculating area for circular spaces on the floor, wall or even pillars we must do so using the radius, Diameter and circumference. With these measurements we can calculate areas by adding Pi (3.14159) into the formula.

For example to calculate the are of a circle to get your tile requirements you first of need to measure the radius (as shown in the pics) you then multiply the radius by radius, you then multiply this sum by pi(3.14159) and this will give you the area of the circle. Here is an example/ demo;

Let say the radius of the circle is 0.8mtr

Radius = 0.8mtr

r2 = (radius x radius) = 0.64mtr

r2 X PI (0.64mtr x 3.14159) = 2.01mtr

Total area of circle = 2.01square mtr

Formula = r2 x Pi = area

If you are in a position where you need to calculate the area of a pillar then you use a simpler formula. The formula for working out the area of a cylinder is;

circumference x height of pillar

However due to both top and bottom of pillar not being accessible to measure we will not use the diameter to calculate the circumference like we did with the circle. It is actually easier to physically measure the circumference of a pillar unlike that of a circle. One way to measure the circumference of the pillar would be to use a flexible tape (such as those used by tailors etc) with this you can then measure the distance round the pillar (circumference) and then multiply this figure by the height.

For example;

Lets say the height of the pillar is 300cm, you measure the circumference of the pillar with your tape and it equals 40cm.

Circumference .4m x Height 3.m = 1.2square mtr

Total area of pillar = 1.2 sqm

Attachments

• calculating area of circles.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 52
Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to how to calculate area of circles etc in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

The growing popularity of “Thin Porcelain Tile” Now that industry professionals have coined a...
Replies
Views
Rizzle from the Portizzle
R
D
Drilling a hole into a Belle bath. Fitting Victorian taps. Drill steel baths. Project fitting...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 1779
D
D
How to drill a hole in a steel bath. At 365Drills we provide either the equipment you need or...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 1779
D
U
About a year ago, I had 64 sqm porcelain tiles installed on top of a concrete slab, forming a...
Replies
Views
I
Hi All, Just done my bathroom (4 tiles left) and started my kitchen this weekend(just got wet...
Replies
Views
deankyall
D

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
how to calculate area of circles etc
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.