UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss How to fix items to a hardibacker board wall in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

shneld

Hello everyone.

I have a timber stud wall with hardibacker board and 10mm thick porcelain tiles.

I need to fix a shower rail and other various small items to this wall.

What is the best method of fixings items to this?

I was thinking using the metal plaster board fixings, the ones with the wings that grip that back of the board as you screw the screw. I would also flatten off the little spikes that grip into the face of the plaster board as it will be tiles.

Can anyone suggest a better method?

Many Thanks

Lee

S

shneld

hi,i would pad the wall before fixing the boards over in the areas needed or have you already tiled
Already tiled :(
if you've already tiled, drill a bigger hole than the plug through the tile, then drill the backerboard for your plasterboard plug,then plug the backer board. that way you won't be hanging anything off the tiles
I think this is the option I will take
Best way was to set out fixings before you boarded and put timber noggins/studs in the right place,, but as you seem to be tiled up then Mike has the right idea...
Lesson learnt :) ill do this next time.
The holes needed to get the butterfly fixings through are usually quite big, if its 12mm hardie you should be able to screw straight into it as you would with wood and get a firm fixing - i'm sure thats how i've done it in the past - its been a while.
Really, it is 12mm hardibacker. Its tempting to just screw into it as you say but for peice of mind I may use plasterboard fixings.
If you had known where the fixings were going beforehand you could have fixed an extra peice of stud work to allow for weight issues.
Im going to do this next time.
Thats is one thing I did was ensure there is plenty of noggings in (unfortunatley not where the shower head rail is going lo ) to support the wieght, the tiles are 300x600x10mm!

Do we recon just screwing into the 12mm hardibacker will suffice? Its a shower head rail that needs fitting, just your usual plain simple shower head rail/riser.
Thanks for your help everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to How to fix items to a hardibacker board wall in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I'm redoing our bathroom and looking for some advice on tiling backer boards in relation to the...
Replies
Views
Bathroom being refurbished. A load of things have been rushed like some loosely rollered (not...
Replies
Views
I'm hoping someone here can give me some advice! I'm re-tiling my shower after needing to rip...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I am in the middle of renovating my bathroom. First of its kind for me! The walls were...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
How to fix items to a hardibacker board wall
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.