Discuss How to pick the right colour grout? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

S

Stealth

I'm putting down some light buff / sandstone coloured ceramic floor tiles.

It's a big area so need to get the grout colour right first time.

The tiles are rectangular medium format 36cm x 28 cm (14" x 11"), laid out in a 50 / 50 brick stretcher bond pattern.

I'm not looking to make any bold statements with the grout just looking for a neutral finish.

I'm not looking for a light colour as I don't want to be on my hands and knees every 5 minutes scrubbing the floor.

Grout needs to be flexible, preferably single part.
-------

So.........

Do I go for a traditional grey? Safe, does the job but not really matching the tile.

or

Do I go for a shade of brown? - Dark for contrast or lighter to blend in? I've not used brown floor grout before so open to suggestions (Not too light though and needs to be flexible).

-----------------

I was thinking of chopping a a couple of tiles up and go to the shops and ask to see some colour sticks. Sounds a good idea but it doesn't give you the overall effect.

I wish there was a some website out there that allowed you to pick a tile and play around with a grout colour!

S

Stealth

floor tile.jpg

Here'e the tile in question.

I've place a white board against it to give you a clearer idea of the colour.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Personally i hate jasmine. I also wouldn't put it on a kitchen floor whether i was further protecting grout or not.
If it was me i would go for limestone. Both BAL and Mapei do a good one. Failing that if you want something a touch lighter then Mapei's Biege 2000 would Wesley well.
I think sandstone might result in a bit of a contrast.

Personally i hate jasmine. I also wouldn't put it on a kitchen floor whether i was further protecting grout or not.
If it was me i would go for limestone. Both BAL and Mapei do a good one. Failing that if you want something a touch lighter then Mapei's Biege 2000 would Wesley well.
I think sandstone might result in a bit of a contrast.

What's your thoughts on Weber limestone Ali ?

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Haven't used weber for a couple of years now. Was finding it used to shrink/slump a fair bit.
Mapei all the way now. There UCP grout is excellent. Started using their adhesive and SLC Recently too. Although i used to love weber adhesive, tile giant are equally as competitive on price as weber was.

Another key factor is that in just over a week family and i are moving down to Kent and the nearest CTD to me is half hours drive away.

C

charlie1

I'm with Ali on the grey, much prefer a contrast if the work can take it. Get very disappointed when a client wants to colour match so it looks like one piece. They should buy vinyl then.
Why would u want to hide it after spending so much money.

You literally took the words out my iPad!! We put all the effort in to creating lines so tight and true only for a customer to pick a matching grout! When that happens with me, I don't even take any pics at the end of the job! I like a defined grout line in just about every situation I can think off!

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
You literally took the words out my iPad!! We put all the effort in to creating lines so tight and true only for a customer to pick a matching grout! When that happens with me, I don't even take any pics at the end of the job! I like a defined grout line in just about every situation I can think off!

Strange as I am the complete opposite, I want the grout joints not to stand out particularly on natural materials or stone effect tiles. You just wouldn't find straight lines like that in a natural environment so you shouldn't have it in a kitchen or bathroom.

Just my 2p

Chalker

TF
Arms
Tadcaster
For me, a tiled floor in a room is part of a room not the centre of attention . Sometimes using a bold grout makes your eye drawn to just the tiles.
i know being tilers that's what you want, but its a room as a whole.

its a bit like when people use a really mad colour on walls. They spend thousands on fixtures and fittings, and all you see is 20 quids worth of paint!:sofahide:

O

Old Mod

For me, a tiled floor in a room is part of a room not the centre of attention . Sometimes using a bold grout makes your eye drawn to just the tiles.
i know being tilers that's what you want, but its a room as a whole.

its a bit like when people use a really mad colour on walls. They spend thousands on fixtures and fittings, and all you see is 20 quids worth of paint!:sofahide:[/

BUT I LIKE BEING THE CENTRE OF ATTENTION!! *stamps feet up and down!* :lol:

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to How to pick the right colour grout? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi any advice on what would go with what. I've layed off white tiles on floor with grey...
Replies
Views
Hi, Looking for advice mainly on how much adhesive I should remove from between the tiles in a...
Replies
Views
After annoying the guys in my local CTD for about an hour looking at samples and agonising on...
Replies
Views
Bathroom being refurbished. A load of things have been rushed like some loosely rollered (not...
Replies
Views
Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB