Discuss How to price Victorian tiling. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
I’ve been asked to quote for laying a Victorian floor on the ground floor of a block of luxury flats.
I asked a few questions and have been told that this is the only way in/out of the flats. The base is concrete slab and the square meterage is approx. 7sqm including 2 steps. The customer says that the tiles come on a mesh.

There is a skirting board already fitted, but I do not know if it can be removed.

I have never worked with Victorian tiles before, but know that it could take quite a while to lay this floor.

The property is in London (20 mile drive from where I live).

How do I start pricing this one up? Help me please.

See attached plans.
2013-10-11_14-25-10_926.jpg

Cheers
Sean

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Hello Sean,

There is a company down here that attach olde English tiles to a
Plastic sheet and number them for installation (like paper faced),
It decreases the installation time dramatically!

So find out if that's what is going on!!

The only thing that makes me think that might not be the case
Is the set out.....

All the best

Lee

Thats cheating Lee lol.

T

Time's Ran Out

Remember the drawing is just for an indication of content and style! It's not to be scaled off or indeed an accurate set out - far too many errors and faults. You can only provide quantities when you know the size of the sheets, size of the border pieces and actual size of the hallway (site visit is essential ). For 7sq mts of this type of sheeted geometric the middle 5sq mts or so will only take about half a day. But the set up, steps, and manipulation of the meshed border ( which rarely fit) will take another 2.5 days. Fast set adhesive on the centre 'mat' area will allow the passage of people within 2hours and done in 2 stages no one will be inconvenienced.

P

Protilers

Remember the drawing is just for an indication of content and style! It's not to be scaled off or indeed an accurate set out - far too many errors and faults. You can only provide quantities when you know the size of the sheets, size of the border pieces and actual size of the hallway (site visit is essential ). For 7sq mts of this type of sheeted geometric the middle 5sq mts or so will only take about half a day. But the set up, steps, and manipulation of the meshed border ( which rarely fit) will take another 2.5 days. Fast set adhesive on the centre 'mat' area will allow the passage of people within 2hours and done in 2 stages no one will be inconvenienced.

you will be surprised John........I have seen a few where they have said "we got this from the architecht...C.A.D dont you know!".......Follow it!

T

Time's Ran Out

you will be surprised John........I have seen a few where they have said "we got this from the architecht...C.A.D dont you know!".......Follow it!

Surprised, surprised! Nothing fits on a drawing and if it looked like this one and they insisted - I'd walk.
I know it sounds egotistic but they'd only want me to do the job if they'd seen my work - once they meet me they wish they hadn't :lol:

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

I know Phil.....personally I think its an abomination!!!!........and the company charge a heafty premium for sheeting them up (as would you and I).......they dont sheet up the borders tho' only the field!

all the best

Lee

Lee, we may see a course that teaches geometric tiling very soon, it will not be free, but it will be value for money, watch this space.:thumbsup:

P

Protilers

Surprised, surprised! Nothing fits on a drawing and if it looked like this one and they insisted - I'd walk.
I know it sounds egotistic but they'd only want me to do the job if they'd seen my work - once they meet me they wish they hadn't :lol:

I am with you John.......and as we are not doing any work today...........fancy going down the pub for a pint?.....hehehehehe

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
Well I got the job. Still not sure what I am letting myself in for.
5 days plus if it takes longer then I still get paid for the extra days (written into my quote).

The room has been measured by client and they say they have a 2mm tolerance in their figures.
Field tiles come on a mesh. The border tiles are being cut buy tile supplier (down to 11mm).

Start time in about 3-4 weeks.

Any news on that course!!!!

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to How to price Victorian tiling. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I’ve a fairly basic question I thinks, hope someone can help me out with. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB