Discuss How To Remove Paint From Walls Prior To Priming & Tiling? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

E

EViS

I'm about to start a bathroom job which has half the walls made from Plasterboard and half from Blockwork. All the walls are painted other than the one's around the existing shower which are tiled.

I will rip out the existing plasterboard (with tiles attached) around the shower and replace with new Hardieback.

However, what do I do about the remaining painted plasterboard and blockwork walls on the other side of the bathroom? What's the best way to remove the paint of these?

A

akinsontiles

Sorry I have re read you post now. If you score the painted plasterboard with a criss cross markings you should get a good enough key to adhere the tiles to and then prime it.

When I'm not sure I would check with the adhesive manufacturer you intend to use first as they all have technical departments that would offer advice.

I'd be a bit wary of using a ready mixed adhesive onto these painted surfaces still though as if the paint is Vinyl silk it can look and feel like the adhesive is holding and then the tiles will fall off later on. Which is not good if this is for a customer.

E

EViS

So replace all the plasterboard with Hardiebacker?

How about the solid walls which have been plastered and painted? What's the best way to get down to the plaster there?

For the record, I will be using a Mapei powdered adhesive.
Or can the existing plasterboard be replaced with new plasterboard in non-wet areas (i.e. everywhere but the shower)? Or may this not take the weight of the tiles (floor to ceiling)?

Reply to How To Remove Paint From Walls Prior To Priming & Tiling? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views
Hi, Looking for advice mainly on how much adhesive I should remove from between the tiles in a...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm trying to assess what prep is needed on the walls for my kitchen backsplash. We'll be...
Replies
Views
I have recently stripped the bathroom. I have 2 walls in non water area. One wall is new...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
How To Remove Paint From Walls Prior To Priming & Tiling?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.