Discuss How to seal a stone door step in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

Priesty

Hi,

I am looking for advice on the floor in my kitchen. I have included a picture to help.

My kitchen is a extension but the orignal back door stone step has been left inplace and has damp spots on it. Extension was built before I bought the house.

Is there a way of sealing it so i can tile on it? The concrete floor has no signs of damp so am guessing it has a DPM, I also need to level the floor as it dips in front of the new back door.

I was thinking of using a bitumen paint to seal(prob a bad idea!) it but most tiling/ leveling compound I have looked at says you cannot use on bitumen?

I would be greatful for any useful advice.

Thanks
Craig
DSC00567.JPG

P

Priesty

Thanks for the reply guys.

Its a terrace property in Wigan and it over 100years old. I thinking it is sitting straight on the sand/clay ground. ext was build about 60yrs ago.

I have bought a DPM from Wickes cheap awhile ago, I think its this one haven't to the packaging anymore.

Damp-Proofing Membrane 1000 Gauge - Damp Proof Course - Tarpaulins & Damp Proof Course -Building Materials - Wickes

Wet Dec
Would this be ok too use? and you said "powdered flexible adhesive" can you recommed a make for me?

Thanks Again

Last edited by a moderator:
D

diamondtiling

Its a terrace property in Wigan and it over 100years old. I thinking it is sitting straight on the sand/clay ground. ext was build about 60yrs ago.

I have bought a DPM from Wickes cheap awhile ago, I think its this one haven't to the packaging anymore.

Damp-Proofing Membrane 1000 Gauge - Damp Proof Course - Tarpaulins & Damp Proof Course -Building Materials - Wickes

Wet Doc
Would this be ok too use? and you said "powdered flexible adhesive" can you recommed a make for me?

Thanks Again

:lol::lol:

Errrrr....whats up Doc.

W

wetdec

Wet Dec

Thanks Again

In a word NO you will not get the adhesion to the DPM you would to the Dura WP its a totally different product ( WP - is a waterproof membrane with special upper and lower surface so you can stick to it no probs)

Flexible floor adhesives are two a penny now everyone is making them and you will likely as not need it for the rest of room.

just send me your address you can have the bloody membrane not like you need 100m of the stuff :0)

Doc_ Sounds good to me :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to How to seal a stone door step in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Looking for some technical advice on these tiles please. Our installers fitted this CaPietra...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I am building my own house and now I'm ready to tile the floor downstairs. I have...
Replies
Views
Hello I'm new to tiling my first flooring job it's 42sqm in 600x 200 floor tiles (wood effect)...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
How to seal a stone door step
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.