Discuss How to support first row tiles in tanked shower? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

steved21

I've just tanked my shower (using BAL WP1) and am ready to start tiling. Normal practice is obviously to begin tiling just under one tile hight up from the tray and support the first row of tiles on level wooden battons screwed or nailed to the wall. But this will pierce the tanking, which I'm guessing isn't a good idea. So, how do I support the first row of tiles? - or is it acceptable to begin tiling straight from the shower tray, as this should be exactly level anyway?

Thanks.

C

Colour Republic

Depending on the weight of the tiles most decent adhesives will hold tiles without batons.

Set the tile then pull down on the tile to your datum rather than pushing up will also help.

If the tiles do need a little support I sometimes hold them with 2 panel pins under the tile. Yes this does pierce the tanking but tanking a shower is very different to tanking say a basement where you are trying to hold constant moisture out rather than occasional small amounts of moisture in.

Or you could use some baton stands, or you could start off the shower tray, but not with a full tile unless your setting out dictates this will work.

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
Steve, Glad to read that you are tanking your shower area.
Are you just tiling yr shower area or are you tiling the whole room?
If it’s just the shower area and your shower tray is level, then there is no reason why you can’t start tiling from the tray (leaving a small gap where the tile meets the tray). Are you tiling up to the ceiling? Will you be left with a slither of tile at the top? Work out where you last row of tiles are going to end up. You could always adjust your grout width to make sure a ‘slither’ does not occur.

If you are tiling the whole room, then you have to consider your other sanitary ware positions. Starting with a whole tile at the shower may force you to tile slithers in other places like over a bath or just above/below your window etc.

However, to actually answer your question you could use a wood baton held up with two smaller lengths of wood or you could use a tile (at an angle) to hold up your first row.

S

steved21

Thanks for the replies all - much appreciated.

I'm only tiling the shower cubicle and a splashback above a counter top that houses a semi countertop basin, concealed cistern for a wc and a couple of cupboards. The shower cubicle will be tiled from tray to ceiling. There will be a mosaic border though so I do need to cut the first row for the shower to get the same border height as the splash back. The shower tray is 100% level though so I'll cut the first row to suit the border requirements and tile straight up from the tray, using spacers to give me a suitable gap for silicone.

Thanks again for the tips gents.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to How to support first row tiles in tanked shower? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Grouting my shower walls in a few days. I tried to do everything by the book, which I did. Water...
Replies
Views
Wetroom leaked. Former and first course of wall tiles removed. WBP ply on joists (shower tray...
Replies
Views
Hi, New to the forum. I'm going to be installing a new corner, shower unit with tiled walls...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, I'm new to tiling and looking for some advice. I'm practical and usually pretty good...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
How to support first row tiles in tanked shower?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.