Discuss How to tile on 3 different substrates?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

Aston

hi clipboard

the reason i asked is...what andy says is the right advice but sometimes customers really dont like or want expansion joints depending on the pattern or tile etc. so, if the floor is not that big and the evidence points to no existing cracks movement AND thats been the way for years, then sometimes you can get away without joints but its one of those situations where you'd have to view and assess the job to be more certain...

so, if i were you, i'd advise the customer to go with what andy tiler suggested. that way, you have done the professional install and you can guarantee the job....i have done jobs like this without expansion joints and they are still fine BUT i was persuaded into it and they were personal friends who had integrity and they understood i was doing the job because its what they wanted rather than what i recommended!! Also the floors were solid with no signs of cracks or moevement. otherwise, i would'nt leave my self open to a future can of worms if you get my meaning!

C

clipboard2008

Thanks for all your replies

I understand we'd possibly need to look at expansion joints but is there a way round it? Can I create a new floor with 18mm ply or hardibacker across the whole floor or would this be a waste of time.

I know the customer wouldn't want the expansion joints and was keen not to raise the floor height too much

Dave, the two wooden floors are next to each other and the concrete screed is spans the both of them at the top (approx 4m x 1m) if that makes sense?

thanks

C

clipboard2008

Hi All

Taken 2 sets of 3 photos which sweep across the floor from 2 different corners
the last photo is just showing that there is floorboards under the carpet

let me know what you think?

IMG_4624.JPG IMG_4625.JPG IMG_4626.JPG IMG_4627.JPG IMG_4628.JPG IMG_4629.JPG IMG_4630.JPG

Andy Tiler

TF
Arms
manchester
i think the best way to tackle this floor without raising your floor height.imo take up the exhisting timber floor boards and chipboard. strenghten floor joists where needed re do with 25mm marine ply but where it meets the concrete chisel the concrete where it protrudes into the plywood area so the ply sits flush with the concrete(if you get wat i mean) you will have to screw and plug the ply to the concrete.then you will be able to create a clean joint along the length of the room you will only have to install one movement joint..hope this helps.. i wouldnt attempt to put an uncoupling membrane over this substrate..:thumbsdown:....:thumbsup:

D

DHTiling

Watec..

30-metres-of-watec-2e--gutjahr-indortec-matting.jpg

Watec 2e indoor Matting – gUtJaHR
The Watec 2E Indoor Matting reinforced decoupling matting does not need
an adhesive bond to substrate and allows for damage free tiling on critical
substrates such as wood, asphalt, cracked concrete floors, hard PVC or substrates
made of different kinds of material.
Watec 2E Indoor Matting saves time, labour
and materials and is ideal for problem substrates such as chipboard. The mesh side
is placed uppermost. Designed as a floating system it offers a variety of time and
cost saving advantages:
l Secure: 100% guaranteed decoupling
l Fast: Less preparation of the substrate, up to 75% quicker = less waiting
time to continue work
l Cost saving: Less adhesive and material for preparing the substrate needed
and tiles can be laid directly onto contaminated bases/hard PVC/
linoleum without disposing of old floor coverings

http://www.trimlineinnovation.co.uk...ment_Joints_Edgings_and_Movement_Mattings.pdf

Reply to How to tile on 3 different substrates?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
How to tile on 3 different substrates??
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks