UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Hydrated Lime. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Al@Lifetiles

TF
Arms
Hello All. Got a grade 2 listed job coming up. Part of it involves replacing some original quarry tiles in what will be there utility room.
The original tiles were apparently laid straight onto a chalk/Lime substrate and over the years movement has created gentle undulations in the floor! Architect wants them replaced as original as possible and has asked for a hydrated lime/ sand mix to bed the tiles on.
Anyone ever come across this before?
All help appreciated as i havnt the foggiest.

P

Pebbs

Here you go,

After much debate (some heated I'll come to that in a minute), this is how we do it.

4 parts sharp sand
1 part hydrolic Lime
Approx 3% white cement (we put this in to ensure some solidity in the bedding)

Mix the sharp sand and the lime and the white cement to a semi dry mix and bed down hard. Then sprinkle over with water from the watering can.
The important bit is this, make sure the back of the stone has been covered with wet lime slurry or you won't get the adhesion to the bedding.
Ensure that the bed is solid, and the stone is well bedded, if you dont your going to know about it a few months down the line.

Also an important factor is the temp, it is notoriously difficult to get it to set off in cold weather,

I have to throw this in, you said the architect is stated hydrated lime, well unless you have 6 months to sit around waiting for the bedding mix to go off then its all good, but you havent. You need to clear this with them and get this point across. Hydrated = no Hydrolic =yes?

Let us know how you get on.

Lynn

Al@Lifetiles

TF
Arms
Thankyou for taking the time and sharing your knowledge!
I will speak to builder in charge tomorrow and query the hydrated/hydrolic thing. It could simply be me mis-hearing him on the phone.
I did speak to one other builder i know and trust and he also said to add a bit of cement in the mix for solidity so this compounds what i have to do.
Thanks again and pictures to follow.

W

White Room

Here you go,

After much debate (some heated I'll come to that in a minute), this is how we do it.

4 parts sharp sand
1 part hydrolic Lime
Approx 3% white cement (we put this in to ensure some solidity in the bedding)

Mix the sharp sand and the lime and the white cement to a semi dry mix and bed down hard. Then sprinkle over with water from the watering can.
The important bit is this, make sure the back of the stone has been covered with wet lime slurry or you won't get the adhesion to the bedding.
Ensure that the bed is solid, and the stone is well bedded, if you dont your going to know about it a few months down the line.

Also an important factor is the temp, it is notoriously difficult to get it to set off in cold weather,

I have to throw this in, you said the architect is stated hydrated lime, well unless you have 6 months to sit around waiting for the bedding mix to go off then its all good, but you havent. You need to clear this with them and get this point across. Hydrated = no Hydrolic =yes?

Let us know how you get on.

Lynn

If your putting cement with hydraulic lime then why not use just sand/cement....which hydraulic lime would use 3.5, 5 or above.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Hydrated Lime. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Hi there I’m new to Tile Forum and joined to get professional opinions because I really need...
Replies
Views
I had my bathroom done in September and my floor tiles have movement in them and the grout is...
Replies
Views
I would like some advice from experienced tilers on this forum. Had a vertical crack across a a...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Al@Lifetiles

Arms
TF
Thread Information

Title
Hydrated Lime.
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.