Discuss Hygrometer protimeter novice in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Hi guys,
I have never had to do a moisture check before. Due to builders doing it or allowing more than 1mm a day.

I have a concrete floor which is to wet (builders words) at the moment.
I shall be doing my own check of moisture content in 2 weeks.
Can anyone shine some light on a decent meter and what figures I need to look for.
I have looked at a F Ball meter. But don't have 4 hours to wait (like instruction video shows)

Thank you in advance guys

i think the hyrometer is best but needs to be left overnight for a true reading 75% moisture content to be safe

75% or lower is a good mark. ok cheers :thumbsup:

If it's wet now what's the point in measuring in 2weeks time.??

the word 'wet' was used by the builder.. basically to state not dry enough... so not under 75%
The floor was priced up on the 2nd of March, it was obviously solid then and had been laid 2-3weeks. this is 5 weeks ago.. 45mm screed equivalating to 45 days minimum. it is quite past that now (7/8weeks)

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
75% or lower is a good mark. ok cheers :thumbsup:

the word 'wet' was used by the builder.. basically to state not dry enough... so not under 75%
The floor was priced up on the 2nd of March, it was obviously solid then and had been laid 2-3weeks. this is 5 weeks ago.. 45mm screed equivalating to 45 days minimum. it is quite past that now (7/8weeks)

45mm screed?? That's a tad thin for sand cement. Should be minimum 50mm unbonded. Is it on a membrane or direct onto concrete. If direct don't forget the concrete will need to dry too.

45mm screed?? That's a tad thin for sand cement. Should be minimum 50mm unbonded. Is it on a membrane or direct onto concrete. If direct don't forget the concrete will need to dry too.

Onto dp membrane and insulation.

EEEK! 45mm sand cement floating.... Should be minimum 65mm... Or have I misread something and it's anhydrite??

Spoken to customer. We have a 45 mm screed with insulation round the edges... Shall have to get onto the builder with what it actually is... No use telling me one thing .

Out of interest would you use those f ball square hygrometers?

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Spoken to customer. We have a 45 mm screed with insulation round the edges... Shall have to get onto the builder with what it actually is... No use telling me one thing .

Out of interest would you use those f ball square hygrometers?

I would use a hygrometer like the f ball ones but would not necessarily buy theirs as I find cheaper ones regularly on eBay.

I would use a hygrometer like the f ball ones but would not necessarily buy theirs as I find cheaper ones regularly on eBay.

In your professional opinion could you recommend one to me off eBay at a decent price which I could go for?

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
In your professional opinion could you recommend one to me off eBay at a decent price which I could go for?

provided it is less than 18months old and not damaged it should be fine. The digital ones come pre calibrated for 18months

provided it is less than 18months old and not damaged it should be fine. The digital ones come pre calibrated for 18months

As stated above, it is best to leave over night for a accurate reading. Does any and all have this feature as a standard. ?
Don't want to stick it on for a overnight reading and it say it turned off..

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
You can leave it on or turn it off overnight. It matters not except leaving it on you will use more batteries. I beleive that the vast majority of hygrometer inserts are made by the same company. I've not come across any that were different. They Re then badges according to supplier. All of the ones I have seen say calibrated for 18months. The only exception is where tilers have bought them as components and built their own in which case they don't usually have a calibration date. Bear in mind it is the insert in the middle that is the calibrated bit. The box is just there to form a simple chamber to collect the moisture in.

If you turn it off overnight when you then switch it on in the morning it might tKe ten minutes or so to give a reading. Most screeds will give an equilibrated reading after about 24 hours and the units should not be left in place for more than 72hours as you run the risk of interstitial condensation

this is the one i got Broken Link Removed i was a bit off with the £50, the customer brought it because i wouldnt do it until the correct time had passed so she got it to see if we could do sooner and gave it to me after the job was complete as she had no more use for it :)

Can't see your one mate.. I am really struggling to find a decent one especially on eBay.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Hygrometer protimeter novice in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hello everyone Im looking for some advice. I currently work for my uncles business tiling for...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, Last time I posted here I was having a first attempt at tiling the walls in a shower...
Replies
Views
Waluigi
W
Hello all... I am just quoting for tiling a couple of Anhydrite screeded floors.. (first time)...
Replies
Views
I
J
Hi there new to this forum and thread. I stumbled across it looking for answers to a similar...
Replies
Views
One Day
O

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB