Discuss I have decided on a career change in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Strathy

I have decided on a career change at 35!:yes: When I was 16 I was training to become a Bricklayer but decided to go into further education in the print and design industry. :furious3: I now wish that I had stuck to the building industry. Over the years I have messed about in countless boring and often low paid dead end jobs and as I get older I realise that I must get my act together ASAP as I want the finer things in life and all the opportunities that come with it. I have always been arty and crafty with my hands and I don't mind getting dirty provided the money is good so after a long process of deciding what to do with my career and life I suddenly had this amazing moment of inspiration when I realised that TILING was the trade for me. I don't underestimate just how hard it will be to train in this new field but somehow I feel I have more of a chance of succeeding in TILING rather than spending thousands of pounds on an IT or computing distance learning course! I might even put the skills that I learn to good use in my own house or that of family or friends.:grouphug: Like any DIY skill it must be worth learning about. The great thing is that a lot of these training courses are short and can be fit around your holidays or other work commitments.

Now that I have decided on my chosen profession/trade I am looking to find a reputable training provider in Scotland preferably and thanks to TilersForum.co.uk :8: I can now read with interest at many other guys entering this field. I intend to continue with my day jobs, do tiling training with a reputable tiling training provider and then do tiling jobs during the evening and weekends until I can eventually do it full-time, at which point I might be able to consider starting up my own business or working self-employed.

It really excites me at the prospect of the challenges and what might lie ahead and to hear so many like minded guys up and down the UK makes me feel that I am not alone in my ambitions. If plumbers, Joiners and Electricians can earn such great money in the trade then why NOT Tilers too!? - We are just as important a trade as them! ...So lets get out there and make TILING a great, well paid, respected and fantastic trade to be in!!!:hurray:
Perhaps one of the best things about this forum is that you learn so much from other people and its great to share ideas and information about training companies. At the moment I am quite early to judge the quality of tiling training providers or courses run in the Scotland area but so far one training provider has been chalked off my list due to their misleading information. I will not bother to mention the company name but thanks to this forum I have been informed and warned about them. Travelling to England to do my training is no obstacle for what lies ahead in what should be an interesting, rewarding and overall wise career move.

All the very best to everyone pursuing tiling as their new career!
Strathy in Strathclyde, near Glasgow:thumbsup:
Cheers mate

Reply to I have decided on a career change in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, first post, asking about career change and possible entry route into the industry. I know...
Replies
Views
First time poster here. For some context, I have a (mostly finished) tiny home with some really...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
After annoying the guys in my local CTD for about an hour looking at samples and agonising on...
Replies
Views
Hello: First time posting. Looks like a really good forum for Info. Here is my question: I'm...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
I have decided on a career change
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.