Discuss I just couldn't fit it in......... in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Got fairly busy recently and ended up with a few jobs on the go at once. I then got contacted by an old "friend" that I used to tile for. I was employeed by him for about 18 months. I ended up doing complete installs and refurbs and was being paid peanuts. So decided to go back on my own. Anyway, he called me up a couple of weeks ago, said he was really busy and asked if I would tile for him again. I told him i'm not doing anything but tiling these days, as long as he knows that i'll price what he wants and if agreed ill tile it. I emphasised how important prep was and if it wasn't done right I wouldnt tile it, or ill be billing him for prep.

Anyhow, I made a start on a little cloakroom (pictures on my facebook ;)) When I turned up no prep work was done, had to rebuild soil boxing and other boxing, remove a bit of paint, but generally straight forward.
He talks to me later in the day about tiling the main bathroom which he was currently ripping out. So I went to have a look, gave him a list of what prep needed doing and I would fit it in next week. Explained I was busy so tasked him with the prep.
Yesterday he tells me he was going to get another guy he has been using since I left couple of years ago as he needed it doing asap and he didnt think I had the time. Fair comment, and he offered me a different job for next week anyway.

Turned up this afternoon to do a little more in the cloakroom. Was introduced to the other "tiler". What do you think?

a8emuza8.jpg

Don't look too bad does it? Let me show you some more...........

a2evune7.jpg

evymy9eg.jpg

7yny5a6y.jpg

he5y8uze.jpg

u7udypes.jpg

y3any7yg.jpg

This is not how things were done when I worked for him!!
The so called tiler spoke with a funny accent, didn't own a notched trowel, had no idea water was required for his saw and had a big bottle of......................................PVA! He went through a bag and a half of Weber set plus to do those two walls as well. I think grouting is going to be expensive!

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
I've made my feelings perfectly clear to him. I think because I know him quite well I can get away with it, but I was disgusted with this.

The internal walls were at 600 centres as well. Flexing like a trampoline as he was pushing these on. I've never actually seen anyone dot and dab before.
Be interesting when it comes to the floor. If you notice there's two substrates, chip and ply. Guarantee it won't be over boarded and the wet area sure isn't being waterproofed!

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
I always do. Just a little pee'd off as well if im honest, if the cloakroom was ready for when I had it booked in I would of had the time for the bathroom.
Thing is, I've done work for this customer in the past, 45sqm solid oak flooring. Their best friends and the ones over seeing the work I've done bathroom and kitchen for. Obviously when I was working for the company. But I get on with them really well and they trust my work and judgement. Im torn as to wether I should say something or not.
Pulled on one of his tiles this afternoon and it started to come away. :eek:

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
So you thought it ok to go and photograph another guys work and post it on an open forum. Why not just worry about your own work and leave out the "isn't this ****" stuff. If it had been mine and I caught you taking pics you wouldn't be doing any tiling for a while

Open forum it is not. It's in the arms. And when the work is of such a poor standard then yes, i'll post it in the same way we have a cowboy/nane and shame thread on this forum. At least I haven't named him.
Highly unlikely the guy is a member here but that being said I've not posted anything here I wouldn't have the balls to say to his face. Same if had of been yours or anyone elses.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to I just couldn't fit it in......... in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB