UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss I nearly fell over! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
I would come and fix it for £100 provided you switch off the apwater and drain the pipe then expose the pipe so I can get at it to cut out the bit that has the nail in it (5 minutes) cut a new peice of pipe (I have some scraps in my workshop (maybe 10 minutes given that I will probably need a cup of tea by then) and then wire wool the ends of the pipes prior to adding flux and two Yorkshire straight connectors (also have these kicking about and this would take maybe another five or ten minutes) another cup of tea followed by refill the system and check for leaks ...... Maybe an hour all in.... There you go £25 saving.... You could take the mrs out for a nice Chinese for that :)

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
I think the difference here is the fact that when you put a nail through a pipe the amount of damage it can potentially cause is horrendous, and the plumbers know it. You can't just say 'oh I'll get it done next payday'. Whereas with a broken tile it doesn't matter - fill it with silicon, it doesn't matter because it won't get any worse than a broken tile.

I stopped working with a plumber because of his charges. I subbed to him and he put the quote in for the whole job and was always asking me to drop my price so we could get the job. I had no idea what he was actually charging the customer and there was VAT on top as well. I had enough and told him to find someone else he could mug!!!!

I

IvegotsTILE

I did that a year ago and my mate came and did it for £35. he drained the whole system did it all properly checked it all and interrupted the job he was on.
I tiled his bathroom floor this morning and did it a bit cheaper but he still gave me an extra £20 for a tip.....I find this is the best way to treat each other,earn enough to keep you happy but still alot cheaper than usual.

A

AMtek

not really the same thing but my uncle had a fire at his house end of november last year, all bedrooms downstairs gutted, kitchen severely smoke and heat damage, a real mess. Me and the lad went round the next day to have a look and lend a hand with the start of the clear up. Found out a few days later he didn't have insurance and xmas was a month away. I called a plumber mate of mine who sourced a new boiler for buttons (don't ask) and put it in for the price of materials, called a sparky i know and he sorted all the electrics for cost of materials. Me and the lad found a new kitchen and bathroom suite for next to nothing (again, don't ask), begged plaster from the local builders merchants for nothing and re plastered the whole downstairs and the kitchen, re fitted and tiled the bathroom, fitted 3 new windows, fitted and tiled the kitchen, fitted all the radiators, door casings, doors, skirting boards etc, laminated the whole ground floor and painted. It took nearly 4 weeks of 15hr days but he was back in the house for xmas and we saved him a fortune on mats and labour. How much did we charge for this? not a penny. It was his own fault for not having insurance but even so, it was the least we could do

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
not really the same thing but my uncle had a fire at his house end of november last year, all bedrooms downstairs gutted, kitchen severely smoke and heat damage, a real mess. Me and the lad went round the next day to have a look and lend a hand with the start of the clear up. Found out a few days later he didn't have insurance and xmas was a month away. I called a plumber mate of mine who sourced a new boiler for buttons (don't ask) and put it in for the price of materials, called a sparky i know and he sorted all the electrics for cost of materials. Me and the lad found a new kitchen and bathroom suite for next to nothing (again, don't ask), begged plaster from the local builders merchants for nothing and re plastered the whole downstairs and the kitchen, re fitted and tiled the bathroom, fitted 3 new windows, fitted and tiled the kitchen, fitted all the radiators, door casings, doors, skirting boards etc, laminated the whole ground floor and painted. It took nearly 4 weeks of 15hr days but he was back in the house for xmas and we saved him a fortune on mats and labour. How much did we charge for this? not a penny. It was his own fault for not having insurance but even so, it was the least we could do

I'll move to Cumbria and burn my house down :lol:

M

Muse2k8

i'm constantly giving customers freebies! whether its an extra box of tiles to finish a back splash off properly, chrome trim instead of white, upvc sills etc. Quite a lot of the time they give me a tip to cover the extras, but i hate leaving a job knowing that an extra few quid could have really made a top job. i'm too soft!!

At the end of the day that few extra quid you spent could mean they tell others to use you. Pros and cons :)

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to I nearly fell over! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

G
First things first. Hello. This is my first post on the forum and I am sure over the coming...
Replies
Views
g60renshaw
G
J
Ive just seen a job , where the make up of existing floor is : beam and block floor,insulation...
Replies
Views
DHTiling
D
A
Hi Guys Just a quickie from me today!! I'm just about to lay 250 hardie-backer board over my...
Replies
Views
C
Just been to check a job I'm starting next week - Plumbers mate turns around and says 'don't...
Replies
Views
P
Priced a job up the guy rang me and said he wants 62 m2 of travertine laid on his floor popped...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.