Discuss I need advice in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

Tiling 1352

I've tiled my flat and feel pretty confident as the job. NO WAY AM I PRO. I want to take this up as a career and feel pretty confident with using all the tools. I will train at able skills when I have the money but am wondering if I can take on domestic work before training. Any advice is geat as I am currently saving £100 a week to fund a business in this trade.
My dad don't think it is good as it is too competative but i try explaining all trades and jobs are. PLEASE CAN YOU HELP AND GUIDE ME PROS:thumbsup:

C

CJ CERAMICS

as per whitebeam
do the course first before you take on any paid domestic work, overcoming the problems to get the correct finish is imo the most important part of the job, by doing jobs without the proper training in paying customers houses and not achieving the correct standard of work will only be detremental to you in the long run, you will lose confidence in your ability and your reputation will suffer. In this business as per most you live or die by reputation and standards.

chris

A

aph257

all good info above, but if you're still working stay with it for now as times are hard. if your determined, save and do the course at Able Skills, i've heard good things about them. then do all your family/friends at (very) good rates to get some practice and i mean doing the estimate aswell. I'm just starting my 2nd year as full time tiler and £100 a week will be about right to get the array of tools you'll need. just 1 bit of advise if you have a car don't put a van on your list of things to get. I'm still using my car, with the back seats taken out and lined with 9mm ply, it's does the job which has enabled me to get the tools, which is what you really need.

J

jolly fix

All very good advice above.make sure your prep work is correct,spend some time on this (again family/friends should will be fine if job takes a bit longer).yes it is competative out there but reputation is the key,give 110% on every job.talk to the customers ,with experiance you will be able to tell if they are the type who want all the tech details or just the nice tile choice chat.... i still see blokes who in this day and age still dont seem to get it..most but not all of the time its the lady of the house has picked the tile/bath/toilet/basin/paint/lights etc so make sure you talk to her! only last thursday "saw a plumber and a spark just going up to the bloke of the house" where do you want this mate",ask the wife came the reply (this went on all day),at end of day she said to me that she would'nt have them back again,even though they had done a good job!.Get on a course,ask questions all the time,try and learn bits of other trades,i e carpentry (stud work ,flooring).

Reply to I need advice in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, first post, asking about career change and possible entry route into the industry. I know...
Replies
Views
Hi all, We've currently got builders in redoing our bathroom and we bought our tiles from...
Replies
Views
Hi there, Pleasure to meet you all. I’m after some help/advice please. After working in the...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, new to the forum and after some advice if possible. Without boring you with my life...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I have had a nightmare job I probably shouldn’t have took on. Called to a customers...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
I need advice
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.