Discuss I Tiled On Tile This Week...... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Stewart

Ban me now... I'm so ashamed......:ban:
Looked at this job a few weeks ago after it was installed by a national bathroom company that advertises on tv. Floor was made up 22mm chipboard, They then added 18mm chipboard (the small untreated boards you use in the attic) to make up fall for wet room. Heat mat installed and no tanking. Water pouring through after 2 weeks and its the only bathroom in a forth floor flat. Amazingly, the water was pouring through around the drain.
View attachment 28138 View attachment 28139 View attachment 28140 View attachment 28141
as you can see, they have cut two huge holes in the joist and this has to be replaced. They butchered the floor and just used 3x2 to support the chipboard. They refunded the full cost of the install and an additional amount to have it re-fitted. I had to do a temporary repair until the full re-fit can be done in August as its the only shower in the place for three adults.
IMG_1299.jpg IMG_1304.jpg IMG_1300.jpg IMG_1297.jpg IMG_1305.jpg IMG_1302.jpg IMG_1307.jpg IMG_1298.jpg

R

Rob Z

The odd thing about the manufactured I-joists is that everything that is acceptable with standard 2X framing lumber is not allowed with I-Joists, and vice versa.

For all the I joists with which I have worked, holes can be of any size (vertically and horizontally), as long as they don't intrude upon the chord on the top and bottom of the "I". THe holes can be placed anywhere along the length of the I joist, except the very ends close to the bearing points. Thris distance varies a bit from series to series.

When in doubt, before I cut or drill, I contact the manufacturer and they are happy to send out a PDF by email with the specs for the particular series of joists that are in the house where we are working.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to I Tiled On Tile This Week...... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hi there, after a little help. Just installed a picture wall with tiles in my bathroom but...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
I'm currently dealing with the contractor from hell who has ruined job after job in my house...
Replies
Views
Hello. First time tiler looking for some advice. Doing a bathroom reno and had a professional...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
I Tiled On Tile This Week......
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.