Discuss i would like to know in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

S

Sigma UK

Rubi sell more "pro" cutters in the UK more than Sigma and Monty but they have been in the Uk for a long time. It was a franchise from Spain many years ago owned by a chap called Tony who sold it back to Spain. I believe topps were the first account here then others followed. Italy have a few manufacturers producing top end tools and I was informed that Battipav even make and sell their water pumps directly to Rubi. Sigma is growing quickly in the UK now but have always been in Ireland & Scotland. You can find Sigma all over the world too and it's not hard to find tilers with machines well over 15yrs old and still going strong. But all our sales combined what not make up as many sales as the cheaper DIY machines. These things generate millions of pounds every year simply because they don't last that long and many people want to try and do their own tiling along with "handy men" who try and do a bit of everything. These people do not spend £300-500 on tile cutters.

mz30

TF
Arms
liverpool
The company i work for has /uses lots of tilers and its 99% sigma 1% rubi,but i know another company we work closely with is the other way round,i'll bet rubi's figures are going down as they are built to a substandard quality now the wheels last a couple of weeks the breaker becomes loose easily and they dont snap the tiles like they should unless they are brand new.

G

Gazzer

The company i work for has /uses lots of tilers and its 99% sigma 1% rubi,but i know another company we work closely with is the other way round,i'll bet rubi's figures are going down as they are built to a substandard quality now the wheels last a couple of weeks the breaker becomes loose easily and they dont snap the tiles like they should unless they are brand new.
10 years ago there was only me and one other tiler in this area that had a Sigma, now I reckon 50% have them or have used one recently.

G

Gazzer

I only got to use a Sigma when I arrived in Australia and got a contract with another tiler. I couldnt help notice the absence of Rubi. I asked what they used and it was Sigma all the way or a Clinker ( arf arf) . On entering Beaumonts tiles ( major player in Melbourne) I went for the Sigma . That was August 2001, I still have the same cutter and its used most days.
Every year I take it to pieces and clean the mess off it, Oil it and assemble it. If I am feeling generous then it gets a new wheel whether it needs it or not.
When I came back to the UK and entered the Tilers Forums I was scoffed at but who is laughing now and who was right all along.
Sigma have made huge marketing steps in the last couple of years but if you are happy with which ever cutter you use then thats all that matters.

A

Aston

I only got to use a Sigma when I arrived in Australia and got a contract with another tiler. I couldnt help notice the absence of Rubi. I asked what they used and it was Sigma all the way or a Clinker ( arf arf) . On entering Beaumonts tiles ( major player in Melbourne) I went for the Sigma . That was August 2001, I still have the same cutter and its used most days.
Every year I take it to pieces and clean the mess off it, Oil it and assemble it. If I am feeling generous then it gets a new wheel whether it needs it or not.
When I came back to the UK and entered the Tilers Forums I was scoffed at but who is laughing now and who was right all along.
Sigma have made huge marketing steps in the last couple of years but if you are happy with which ever cutter you use then thats all that matters.

oh don't you worry sir ramic
i lay the blame firmly at your feet for enticing me to buy a sigma..for as long as i live i'll never forgive you for that ;0)
i made a huge mistake buying that sigma 3b 2 years ago from diatech.

then again, i've learnt some of my best lessons through my mistakes!! so i made 2 more and went for a 2g and a 3c..reluctanly liking them more and more each week ;0) but i will always respect rubi and there owners :0)

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to i would like to know in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

C
Due to the huge volume of enquiries we get for concrete countertop polishing we're looking for a...
Replies
Views
Concrete guy
C
Hi all. I would like to know Where is the cheapest place to get a Tr60 or 60s Or Ts60+ ? I can...
Replies
Views
J
Treated myself to a new Rubi TX700 from Tile Giant this morning. This is my first serious manual...
Replies
Views
Jelthetiler
J
P
Well, as you all (may or may not) know I love my Rubi TS-60+........its the best cutter in the...
Replies
Views
Protilers
P
H
Hi guys, I just done a tiling course. I am a plumber to trade and served my time and have since...
Replies
Views
Aston
A

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB