Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Ignorant Newbie with Travertine Query in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

Mactavsy

Hi to all
I've had a little look around the site which is very helpful but I'm still at the deciding stage.
Just discovered Travertine and just loved the rough whitish tile I saw with holes and pits (guessing it's "unfilled"). My hubby thinks it might be unsuitable.
So, it would be for our kitchen and we have a dog with muddy paws in winter.
The kitchen has just been extended and half the floor has terracotta tiles laid on cement (rather uneven) - we've been advised to tile over the top of these. Other floor is the new bit and this is timber. We've been told to lay plywood onto this.
So would Travertine be suitable or not?
Also, with all the sealers I've been reading about, would they take away the rough almost chalky surface which I think is so nice? Would dirt collect in the pits and cracks despite sealing?
Can it be taken up the wall slightly to form a skirting board? I'm guessing would be too heavy to be a wall tile as such.
Also if it is suitable, any advice on best places to look for buying or anything to be wary of?
I'm cheeky and asking lots but any help would be much appreciated.

D

DHTiling

Hi to all
I've had a little look around the site which is very helpful but I'm still at the deciding stage.
Just discovered Travertine and just loved the rough whitish tile I saw with holes and pits (guessing it's "unfilled"). My hubby thinks it might be unsuitable.
So, it would be for our kitchen and we have a dog with muddy paws in winter.
The kitchen has just been extended and half the floor has terracotta tiles laid on cement (rather uneven) - we've been advised to tile over the top of these. Other floor is the new bit and this is timber. We've been told to lay plywood onto this.
So would Travertine be suitable or not?
Also, with all the sealers I've been reading about, would they take away the rough almost chalky surface which I think is so nice? Would dirt collect in the pits and cracks despite sealing?
Can it be taken up the wall slightly to form a skirting board? I'm guessing would be too heavy to be a wall tile as such.
Also if it is suitable, any advice on best places to look for buying or anything to be wary of?
I'm cheeky and asking lots but any help would be much appreciated.

seal with lithofin stain stop then it wont alter the stones appearance to much...you could tile over the old tiles but make sure they are well stuck and use a cleaner to remove all the polish off the top of them so the adhesive will get a good bond...where the concrete meets the new timber floor then you will have insert an expansion joint here ( right over the joint ) as the two sub-strates will expand at different rates thus causing one or both to de-bond, you could use a pre-formed expansion joint or form your own by using a silicone joint min 6mm in width.....be careful when buying as some cheap stuff is heavy calcareous and can make it weak at this point..better to go for a filled one as it will make cleaning easier with the dog ..etc........dave..

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Slonk

I'm no expert - all my info has come from readin message boards like this but I'm in a similar situation to you. We already have some of the same tiles that my Mum bought ages ago, and gather that they defintely need to be filled with grout or caulk (if that's the right word) - grout is preferable but more time consuming. Unfilled will gather dirt and mould. If you can get filled an honed that would probably be the best option for you.
If it's unpolished (honed), any etch marks from acids spilt on it will be less visible. Polished travertine in a kitchen sounds like it will get damaged more visibly. Honed travertinewill be less likely to etch from things like lemon juice, vinegar etc.
Tha's what I have gathered whilst doing my research, but anyone feel free to correct me.

Reply to Ignorant Newbie with Travertine Query in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi everyone I am building my own house and now I'm ready to tile the floor downstairs. I have...
Replies
Views
Hello all, Hoping that once again I can get some good advice on here, you were invaluable when...
Replies
Views
Hi All, So i'm looking for some advice on laying travertine DIY. Here is the situation: 38...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, Please help me. Really having a nightmare here. Just moved into a new house and the...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Going through a major refurb on the house and recently had a 13mm limestone floor...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Ignorant Newbie with Travertine Query
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.