UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Impey membrane incompatible with Epoxy grout in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

O

ojtiler

All,

This isn't a query, just a brief summary of a situation I got myself into which you might want to avoid! In my wetroom project, I bought the tanking membrane right at the start of the job - I selected the Impey membrane as it looked relatively easy to install.

To avoid having to re-grout my wetroom in a few years, I decided to go for Epoxy grout, to make an exceptionally durable (and waterproof) finish between the tiles.

The thing I overlooked was that, as well as the Impey membrane being incompatible with silicones etc, Impey also recommend that epoxy grouts should not be used!!!!

Having taken technical advice from both Impey and BAL (the manufacturer of the epoxy grout), the solution I have implemented is to ensure that the epoxy does not actually directly contact the membrane. On the floor I am using SLC, so there is a nice 4-5mm protective layer over the membrane in that region... On the walls, I am ensuring I get a solid bed adhesive layer behind the tiles and will also put a layer of normal (cementitious) grout on the joints first (about 4mm thick), before grouting over again with the Easy poxy.

A lot of work, but the only way I feel happy that the membrane is going to be in safe.!

I think if I had my time again I would go for a different mambrane!!

Just thought I would post my experience here, in case anyone is considering going the same way.

S

SteveyJ

Probably really obvious but Just a thought on how you mix up the SLC - if you pour it over the impey tray you may lose all your Impey falls, so might be worth doing the tray area in SPF with a trowel if you want to protect it that much?? Ive done a load of Impey Trays with their membrane and never had any issues - think its great. I always use Ardex Grout and always seems to work well.

Steve

Hi,

Impey Tilesafe is a rubberised bitumen based product which reacts with certain chemicals found in silicone, solvents and epoxy.
It causes the Tilesafe to breakdown into a liquid and therefore destroys its waterproofing qualities.

Tilesafe compatiblle adhesives and grouts must be cement based (cementitious) single part, mixed with water, flexible and waterproof, Latex additives are acceptable as long as the adhesive or grout is mixed with water. Bal,Mappei, Granfix, Ardex and Unibond all manufacture suitable products.

Last edited:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Impey membrane incompatible with Epoxy grout in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, I did some reading here and there, but the opinions seem to diverge at some point and I...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a wetroom tray on timber floor. We have an impey shower tray and tanking membrane...
Replies
Views
Hey all, New to the forum so go easy ;) I've finished tiling my bathroom floor with honed...
Replies
Views
Hi I am posting in the hope that someone may be willing to offer me some advice about floor...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have had both polished and matt textured wood effect tiles laid in my house and am having...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.