UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Into the fire.. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

PaulD

Our tiler (despite being the most expensive quote !!) did not turn up (apparently had his arm twisted by some one that he does a lot of work for who had a tight deadline). :mad2: Not enough time to line anyone else up (kitchen going in a week on Monday). I thought that I'd have a go myself..... :yikes:

It is a new extension (screed down over 6 months). Nice & flat screed. There is a 8x4M kitchen/dining area and a 2x2.5M utility room. No radiator pipes to worry about even, just a couple of patio door openings, so all straight/corner cuts.

We are using a large format unpolished porcelain tile (600x600). I have checked a fair sample of them and they all measure bang on 600, so they
seem well regularised.

I plan to use the Lash Clip system (not cheap, but hopefully will simplify things a bit) - I have done a couple of small floors before and half a dozen bathroom walls, but these 600's looked a bit daunting, hence we had opted to get a professional in.

I had a really helpful and useful chat with David from tradetiler - gave him the order for most of the tools that I'll need that I didn't already have.

One of the things that the Boss wants is tile skirting... about 60mm high. These could do with being cut really accurately. Are there places to get tiles cut, ideally leaving a good edge or is it a case of careful cutting and some diamond abrasives ?

The natural edges of the tiles are pretty good, and with the layout, most of the skirting should come off the 100mm offcuts from the walls. I may have to cut those with a wet saw (I had to get one to be able to cut some 400mm porcelanosa tiles that I put down in a small loo (1 x 1.5M) a few months ago.

I plan to use a 5-6 mm bed. I don't want to go too thin with the lash clips and I want to make sure that I am getting a good solid bed.
I also plan to use a standard set (overnight) adhesive so that I am not rushing and to hopefully cut down on waste adhesive.

The tiles are off white (fully opaque). The Boss reckons to use a white adhesive as she wants the option to put a light coloured grout in and that may make it easier).

It is a beam floor and there is some heating, so I am going for a flexible adhesive. BAL SP Flex seems to be a good option. Looks like that will take me about 15 bags at just over £30 inc a pop. There is a "local" deal on Biscem Stoneflex that also seems to be suitable. I'd need 20 bags of that, but it is still under half the total cost. Is BAL easier to use/better etc to justify the extra £250 ?

Any tips to avoid slumping of the edge tiles overnight or is this unlikely to happen ?

Anyone any idea approx how long it is liable to take me to a) get the tiles down and b) do the grouting (current plan is to use Mapei grout and seal it). I have 6 long 12 hour days set aside for this and I am hoping that will be more then ample.... I just hope my back holds out :smilewinkgrin:. The kids and the Boss can help with the mixing/tile lugging.

Any thoughts, tips or advice, comments etc would be much appreciated.

- Paul.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
If the tiles are opaque, you need to make sure you're 'back-buttering' them. Which basically means use the back of the trowel to skim over adhesive to ensure you get a really good coverage. Needs to be 100% on any floor, but on the odd tile if you didn't manage to fully get 100% coverage, you'd notice where there wasn't adhesive once the job is complete and everything has dried out.

Also, as above, you'll probably need to seal them.

The lash things look cool but I've never used them. Seen a couple of video's of them being used (sad, I know) and they look smart. But on a really flat existing floor, and with a brand new trowel, I can't see you going wrong without them. That's left with you though.

And adhesive. BAL is one of the most expensive out there, and retail in Topps, OUCH! I'd definitely consider the alternative. You looked at Mapei anywhere? The world's largest manufacturer of adhesives and sealants. And at a really fair price too.

P

PaulD

And adhesive. BAL is one of the most expensive out there, and retail in Topps, OUCH! I'd definitely consider the alternative. You looked at Mapei anywhere? The world's largest manufacturer of adhesives and sealants. And at a really fair price too.

I looked at Mapei, and even allowing for the greater coverage rates it was expensive (at least for what I can get it for). I would like to have tried it as I have heard good things. From the coverage rates I guess it must be
less dense and lighter to lug around. I liked how the Mapei and Biscem websites had standard coverage numbers (kg/m2/mm thickness). Bal was really mixed... sometimes specifying coverage per bag, but without specifying the thickness -- you can guess, but ..)

I picked up the Biscem this morning.

Access to getting good prices can be frustrating and erratic. I had the same issue getting hold of some Celotex. The £600 worth that I ordered early this year was good. Went back for the final batch (another £600) and the price was near double (over £1000), so I ordered online and got a comparable price to the 1st time.

P

PaulD

Hi and welcome, 600x600 are pretty unforgiving, have you considered trying to get someone from the forum? There maybe someone that Dave can recommend in your area that could come and do it?

This may end up being plan B. I'll give laying it a bash :lol: The tiles are nice & flat and seem to be well rectified. If it is looking OK, then great. If not, then I'll take them up, postpone the kitchen (I'm doing that too and I have a week of holiday booked off). No problems with kitchens - done plenty :smilewinkgrin:. The Boss has her heart set on having the kitchen in this August, so to achieve that, the tiles need to be done next week.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Into the fire.. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I’ve got a job using marble geometric mosaics about 10 mm thick. I’ve tried several blades to...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Would anybody have any advice the best way to silicone these bumpy tiles. I think doing a bead...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
    • Friendly
I'm going to be installing Marmox multi boards, on two (internal walls) I'll use 4mm, just so I...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.