Currently reading:
Intro Electrical Advice

While we have you, why don't you checkout our Plumbing Advice forum PlumbersForums.net

Discuss Intro Electrical Advice in the Electrical Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Intro Discussion ThreadIntro Electrical Advice

Got a message asking me to post, so here's my initial post...

I have found answers to some electrical questions on this forum over the years and finally decided to register. I'm not an electrician! But I did study electronics and have done quite a bit of my own small house electrical wiring fixes over the years.

I often look power poles and wonder what's going on. Usually I can suss out what's going on like ok, there's the 3 phases, they each go into this transformer there and then the lower voltage phase comes out and they continue down the street. Other times I look at poles and things make little sense.

I live in Europe, but I have family in the US. I can't help but notice that when I use an electric kettle there that it takes ages to boil. Last one I looked at there, the wattage was 1500 watts, but the kettle I have here which runs off 240VAC states it's 3000 watts. I wonder if I were to just plug the US kettle into a 240 outlet like for an air conditioner in the US if it would fry it or if it would boil water like the UK version. I can't see why it wouldn't. I've also considered just bringing a cheap UK kettle to the US. Someone surely must have tried all of this before me!

Anyway, it's questions like that that I sometimes wonder about and that's why I finally registered.

Michael Grant

Intro for the original thread on Electricians Forums

Reply to Intro Electrical Advice in the Electrical Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

• Article
I have a DC-INT (DC interference) fault Discussion ThreadI have a DC-INT (DC interference) fault Electrical Advice I have a recurring DC Interference fault on my solar system. I have gone...
Replies
Views
  • Article
starting electrical improvers role 4 years after completing level 3 Discussion Threadstarting electrical improvers role 4 years after completing level 3 Electrical Advice I’ve recently been...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Vitesse plus Discussion ThreadVitesse plus Electrical Advice We have some very old delmatic lighting control modules that have pcb and relays for switching they have mostly burnt out. I need to...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Long-time lurker/idler saying Hi! :) Discussion ThreadLong-time lurker/idler saying Hi! :) Electrical Advice Yeah, that's what's up. I've hardly written anything here but have been a member for...
Replies
Views
  • Article
DB In Bathroom Discussion ThreadDB In Bathroom Electrical Advice Just after a bit of advice. Please see my wonderful drawing attached. This 'Bathroom' is within an Officers Mess. As you can see...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Tilers Community
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Birthdays

TF on Facebook

Thanks for visiting the original Tilers Community.