UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Irregular Winckleman 4x4 Tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

gothic-gaz

Hi All,

I am proposing to tile my porch in a checkerboard pattern with red and black Winckleman 4x4 Quarry tiles purchased from Tile Giant....the problem I'm finding is that no 2 tiles seem to have the same dimensions, especially between the reds and blacks they vary by 1 to 2mm have some sides that are out of square and slightly curved on some too!!! I tried a dry run with spacers and it was terrible!....is it common with these sort of tiles to be like this or is it possible that these are seconds?? I am toying with trimming all the black tiles slightly to make life easier? and or set them out by eye.....there website talks about the quality of their tiles and shows them in really complicated geometric patterns, but I really don't see how that would be possible with the tiles I've got! your opinions would be most welcome....

PS. As a novice tiler I've found the forum really useful, as I've already had problems with what to do with the bitumen adhesive on the porch floor, after lots of reading on here and speaking to a couple of adhesive manufacturers, the only product that seems to be regularly used over bitumen and the manufacturer recommends is Ardex's Arditex NA self leveller.....blimey and I thought tiling was straightforward, talk about baptism of fire!!

T

Time's Ran Out

November uploads + 011.jpg I've always found the Winklemans to be very good tiles so I'd check the dates on the production and see how old the stock is. 2mm is too much to accept.

G

gothic-gaz

Update....Tile Giant have been very helpful despite the supplier saying they are within the standards specification and are ordering another batch of tiles to see what size they come in at and then try and get the best match in sizes between the new batch and the existing ones I have etc.....while I'm here what trowel notch size do you think I should use for these 100mmx100mm 8mm thick tiles on a self levelled floor?

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Whatever trowel you use, as it's a floor, they should be 100% covered with adhesive. So really a thick-bed solid-bed trowel, you might get away with a 10mm square notch trowel (not a trowel I ever owned mind), don't use a 6mm though or anything like that you'll end up with air pockets I'd guess.

Might be messy using a thick-bed solid-bed as there will be a lot of adhesive that you're pressing the tile into, and as they're small, that means a mess oozing out of the grout joints. So work clean if you do. If the floor really is flat enough (you don't see many even if they look it) your 10mm square notch should suffice.

Great news with Tile Giant. It is a shame there are tolerances so great with things like this but it will be down to the tiles being made on different machines etc.

G

Gazzer

Update....Tile Giant have been very helpful despite the supplier saying they are within the standards specification and are ordering another batch of tiles to see what size they come in at and then try and get the best match in sizes between the new batch and the existing ones I have etc.....while I'm here what trowel notch size do you think I should use for these 100mmx100mm 8mm thick tiles on a self levelled floor?

I fail to see how the manufacturer can claim they are within tolerance as they can clearly get all the black one size and the red all the same size too ...but not the same as each other....Stupid !

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Irregular Winckleman 4x4 Tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi All So around 10 years ago (i had no idea it was that long ago until i looked up the order...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Hi, I've been planning on tiling my 16sq m dining room floor for ages, so have been reading...
Replies
Views
First of all a big shout out to everyone that contributes to these forums in terms of help and...
Replies
Views
Perry
P

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.