Discuss is 75mm screed enough for floor tiles with underfloor heating. in the Best Floor Tiles area at TilersForums.com.

M

macken

hi everyone.

i need help to decide whether to do this job or walk away.

customer has 150m2 of floor with underfloor heating.(water)

it has 150mm of insulation and a sand and cement screed of 75mm.

screed already has hairline cracks and the heating has not been turned on yet.

customer is prepared to pay for dittra matting.

60 x 60 porc will be the tiles if tiled.

im not happy with screed, feels like its bouncing on all that insulation.

thanks.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Minimum depth of sand cement screed floating to meet british standard is 65mm in domestics. Insulation plays a bigpart in flexural strength though. The screed must be reinforced with pp fibres or d49steel mesh. If the insualtion is too spongy at 150 mm it will feel like a cushion floor. If it feels spongy jump on it in a corner of the room and get someone to watch it and see if moves. If it does it will need to be sorted as the level of deflection could cause it and any floor coverings to fail. At 150mm insulation i would look to specify a minimum of eps 100 polystyrene. The norm for domestics is eps 70. At 150 mm this will feel spongy.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Screed bloke I was talking to last week told me the new minimum was 120mm - don't know if thats true though

No it isnt true. The minimm depths are set by bs8204 part 1 which was published in 2001 and has not been reviewed since. It will be up for review i think next year or the year after.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to is 75mm screed enough for floor tiles with underfloor heating. in the Best Floor Tiles area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I am building my own house and now I'm ready to tile the floor downstairs. I have...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Tiling a new extension. Cement poured screed on piped underfloor heating. Heating has been...
Replies
Views
Hi I am want to get my new build kitchen floor, hallway and utility tilled. I am plaining on...
Replies
Views
Nalaka Vithanage
N
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB