Discuss Is insulation boarding really needed for UFH? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

muymalestado

Hello to all.

Where we have a good flat and sound suspended wood plank floor in the bathroom we are advised by carpet/lino/tile shops that UFH insulation boards are not required if the mode of use is intermittent, ie, once per evening.

Laminate planks will be the top surface flooring lying on the UFH. It is planned to lay a reflective sheet below the UFH with no other layers installed.

Does this sound reasonable?

Thank you.

M

muymalestado

Thanks Stewart - we had got as far as seeing several and deciding Pergo looked like good stuff and we'd use their laminate and UFH system. That isn't in stone yet. I suppose the answer is yes we'll stick to a purpose designed system.

edit: Though I see elsewhere on here that a void under a wood floor can suck away a high proportion of the heat.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
As per Mike reply. No insulation will cause massive inefficiencies with the heating system. Wood is a reasonably good heat sink so you will lose most of your heat into the void and timber and very little will come upwards to where you need it. Once per evening will turn inot pretty much permanently being on due to the time lag between cold and warm.

Reply to Is insulation boarding really needed for UFH? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I'm a total tiling beginner having my kitchen/diner redone by builders. The dining area has a...
Replies
Views
Dear all, First time poster here and would like you r kind suggetion. I am getting a builder...
Replies
Views
Hi, DIY home owner here in need of advice. Following a waste pipe leak that's now been fixed...
Replies
Views
1950s ex council house, solid concrete floors, about to have the ground floor tiled - hall...
Replies
Views
Hello, I’m just having some work done in my house and decided to go with underfloor heating...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Is insulation boarding really needed for UFH?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.