Discuss is slate mosaic a safe flooring for disabled? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

L

luluprince

Hi

I have just registered to ask a question if anyone could help please.

My father is disabled and is changing his bathroom into a wet room, he has order the furniture and shower etc.

The only thing left is the tiles he likes the look of fake marble capuccino wall tiles, and is now looking at flooring.

He really likes the look and feel of Zibo Slate Mosaic tiles as they are rough and hopefully will be non slip as he has one leg and is on crutches but my question is now easy will they be for his tiler to lay and will they be easy for him to maintain.

Do you think he might be better off with Planets antislip earth mosaic?

The floor is wooden and going to be ply lined then electric underfloor heating if this makes any difference also it is only 3.6sq metres.

Thanks
Jane

U

user123

Jane, :welcome:

I can't comment on that particular slate mosaic tile, have never seen or felt it, but in general mosaic tiles suitable for floors are the best possible option for disabled people, as the grouting lines themselves make the floor very safe for walking aids. I have experience with the same issue with my now late father and my mother, who moved into safe, i.e warden controlled flats for the elderly, in Germany, where mosaic floors are laid as safety standard in bathrooms for the elderly. I watched like a hawk over them, they had more trouble with their walkers and crutches on carpet and on the parket flooring than in the bathroom and kitchen, which were both the same mosaic floor. With any mosaic floor it's just really important not to have any edges or individualt tiles poking up, to safeguard bare feet and so any crutches don't get caught. Well laid flat floor mosaic, and you can't go wrong. Hope this helps? :)

U

user123

If this is to be a wetroom then you need a proper tray installing to have the correct falls and water flow ratio's.. and then it will need to be fully waterproofed or it will leak.. not exactly a diy job..

:yikes: God, I hadn't picked up on the wetroom bit at all, just on the choice of tiles! Listen to Dave there, Jane, this could turn into a proper mess otherwise...

L

luluprince

Don't worry we would never attempt this ourselves, heck we can't even put up curtain rails or mend a hinge on a kitchen cupboard.

We are the original need something doing call in a professional.
We have a builder altering front and back doorways who has plumbing and tiling people he works with.

Thanks for the advice being someone who changes his mind a lot he has been planning this bathroom change for 2 years he has yet again changed his mind on flooring. I'll be glad when they start next week and he cant keep changing his mind about tiles/ taps / showers even light fittings!!!!!!

Reply to is slate mosaic a safe flooring for disabled? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi All Had a panic when we had to rip out some of our floor tiles after a plumbing leak...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
We recently completed the (rectified porcelain) floor tile installation in the bathroom and...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
is slate mosaic a safe flooring for disabled?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.