Discuss Is Tiling really that hard these day's ? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

1) a tiler is someone who should be able to turn his ir her hand to any form of tiling
(2) them that can and them that think they can
(3) no
(4)what makes me me mad is people that think (oh that looks easy i think anybody can tile) then they have a go and **** it up and expect a tiler to make it right, no way i would sooner stay at home ,and then theres folk that do a course and think thats it im a tiler after a couple of weeks ( rubbish) ,it takes a long time to learn the job and you are always learning

M

mike1979

It's a good one and I can't answer this as I've met a whole bunch in my time I've met blokes that have been in college tiling the same wall for 3 years get a job with Taylor's come on site thinking they are the dogs and they haven't a clue I did a modern apprenticeship only went to college on small block releases to get my papers while I worked and I have seen labourers working with tilers and most of them go on to be the best tilers with no qualifications papers mean nothing at all it's all hands on site experience for me with a good tiler not a rough git

D

Diamond Pool Finishers

Well i think all forms of tiling has got easier with the new bits of kit on the market not to mention lash systems, and new levellers,Adhesives, if the guys coming of the courses take it easy and don't start to run before they can walk, then they have every chance of getting to the top, the courses supply the guys with the basics, then they can take it from there , i have a guy working for me who said he was a tiler, and he has the basics of tiling, but he was a long way off doing my sort of work, so i started him on low wages and i have given him two wage rises so far and i have given him plenty of direction in the van asto what i expect not what his last matey expected, and he is still a work in progress but he is getting there.....

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
I would say that tiling is not any harder these days at all.as the saying goes anyone can mAke a tile stick to floor of wall.difference is knowing new backgrounds.if anything it's easier no sand/cement for most part.

really..? after over 30 years tiling ive seen big changes.....big being the word, when I started a 150x200 tile was massive, now experienced tilers have to spend a sunday down Ray's yard learning how to fix his gigantic tiles...lol

O

One Day

I started to reply to points 1-4 and then realised I couldn't be bothered.
It's all SO subjective and depends on individual viewpoints.
How many massive arguments have been started on tiling forums and how many toys thrown out of prams over these debates???

If you turn out good work in good time and make good money with smiles on your customer's faces - that's enough for me, irrespective of whether you've self-taught / done a 4 week course or spent 5 years working alongside Phil Hobson.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

I started to reply to points 1-4 and then realised I couldn't be bothered.
It's all SO subjective and depends on individual viewpoints.
How many massive arguments have been started on tiling forums and how many toys thrown out of prams over these debates???

If you turn out good work in good time and make good money with smiles on your customer's faces - that's enough for me, irrespective of whether you've self-taught / done a 4 week course or spent 5 years working alongside Phil Hobson.

I have said this many times on this forum, good tilers are more about mind set/ attention to detail, than certificates or years on the job.

I know a few tilers about my age who are as rough now as they were when they were 15 yrs old, I do have the papers but more importantly I still strive to leave a job to the best of my ability.

I still learn new things from this forum, and still enjoy meeting members, we are all kindred spirits or we would not be on here.:thumbsup:

T

Time's Ran Out

Who would want to work alongside Phil Hobson for 5 years!!
I bet he listens to Radio 4.
He'd be talking about sand and cement, pin hammers, and sawdust!
Is tiling hard these days? It's all relevant. Bigger, heavier tiles, but better cutters, so instead of a hammer and chisel for a 6" quarry we have a simple scribe on a 1200 machine.
For me it's a lot easier than 40 years ago and still just as enjoyable ( I type from apartment in Spain) but not as easy as some think.
I never get concerned how long someone has been fixing tiles, it's up to the customer to do their homework and they deserve everything they get - good or bad - its their choice.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Who would want to work alongside Phil Hobson for 5 years!!
I bet he listens to Radio 4.
He'd be talking about sand and cement, pin hammers, and sawdust!
Is tiling hard these days? It's all relevant. Bigger, heavier tiles, but better cutters, so instead of a hammer and chisel for a 6" quarry we have a simple scribe on a 1200 machine.
For me it's a lot easier than 40 years ago and still just as enjoyable ( I type from apartment in Spain) but not as easy as some think.
I never get concerned how long someone has been fixing tiles, it's up to the customer to do their homework and they deserve everything they get - good or bad - its their choice.

Cheers John, I am dreading spending tomorrow in my own company. I would not wish five years with me on anyone.

S

Stef

I have said this many times on this forum, good tilers are more about mind set/ attention to detail, than certificates or years on the job.

I know a few tilers about my age who are as rough now as they were when they were 15 yrs old, I do have the papers but more importantly I still strive to leave a job to the best of my ability.

I still learn new things from this forum, and still enjoy meeting members, we are all kindred spirits or we would not be on here.:thumbsup:

Phil hit the nail right on the head.
I think it's all about mind set & attention to detail.
Just because you have served a tilling apprenticeship doesn't make you any good.
On the same token neither does doing a tiling course, it's all down to the individual & how good a job they want to leave.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Is Tiling really that hard these day's ? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Wall & Floor Tiler Queensland Australia Tile Right About the role Seeking a Wall & Floor Tiler...
Replies
Views
Beginner Tiling Courses 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 Day Tiling Courses? These are brilliant for a DIY...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB