UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Is V Notch Nessesary for Showers?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

stevek

First I should say hello, Im not a professional tiler but have a little DIY tiling experiance, Im just going to start tiling our shower and I wonder if I might ask a questain? I understand that the recomended method of fixing tiles in Shower Areas is on a Thin Solid Bed of adhesive, which I belive is best achieved by useing a V notched Trowel or Applicater(?) the trouble is that Wicks/B&Q and one very large Tiling Shop & Installers dont carry these, they all have various sizes of Square and Large Round Floor Trowels, but not a single V Notch!. I did think about trying to apply a solid bed of adhesive and then lightly combe it, but to be honest I feel that trying to obtain a consistent thickness might be beyond me and will only give me additional problems. My ideal is to be able to "Butter" the Tiles with a small applicator, which I know is slow but works for me. What do you professionals use, Square or V and how big, and can I buy a Small (preferably Plastic) V Notch Applicater if "V" is whats required??
Steve (Nr Bournemouth)

UKTT Darren

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Subscribed
North East
A v shaped trowel will give 100% coverage, as a 6mm square notch will give you 70% coverage, a solid bed should be used with an AA adhesive.
You can get them from North East Tiling Training web site at the top of the forums page, click on the tools icon, Price £15 plus p /p
You should get about 6 square metres of coverage out of a 15kg tub

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
You really do need 100% coverage in that area. A V-notch can give you that but you'll find if the walls are not perfectly flat, you'll not get 100% coverage due to the small amount of adhesive the V-notch gives. Use a 'thin-bed solid-bed' trowel or similar.

Tanking is advised too. :)

100% is still required even if tanking is in play.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Is V Notch Nessesary for Showers?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Grouting my shower walls in a few days. I tried to do everything by the book, which I did. Water...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm trying to assess what prep is needed on the walls for my kitchen backsplash. We'll be...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.