UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Issues in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Mouldy

TF
Arms
Park Gate
Ill try to keep this short as the story is long and boring!

Had to swap out a couple of taps today on a bathroom I fitted and finished just over a month back. Bottom line is that I didn't notice at the time that they were different sizes.

The customer is now complaining that one of the floor tiles, 450x200 porcelain fixed in stretcher bond, is stuck up and she keeps catching her toe on it. Having taken a look there is a little lippage there of I would say around .5mm or so. Looks like the corner on the opposite diagonal dropped slightly during fixing.

Bit pi$$ed that I didn't notice this during the installation, but I didn't. The job as said has been finished for a month or there abouts, so why the hell hasnt this been flagged before? Seems she's looking for an excuse not to pay, (as I haven't been paid at all yet).

Is there a standard that I can quote? ie am I within any tolerances? To be honest I only want the info to make me feel better as I can see that I am going to have to chop the tile out anyway.

Life can be a be-atch can't it?

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Nottingham
British Standards:

There should be no appreciable difference in level across joints
(commonly called “lipping”) and the maximum deviation between
tile surfaces either side of a joint, including movement joints, should
be as follows.
a) Joints less than 6 mm wide, 1 mm.
b) Joints 6 mm or more wide, 2 mm.

So if it is only 1/2mm you're fine, quite how you can catch your toe on 1/2mm is another thing.

Mouldy

TF
Arms
Park Gate
She has done, apparently all bar £500 was paid as of Thursday. Spoke to owner of bathroom company yesterday avo and she is now saying that I was rude to her and she dosent want me back in the house!! Unbelievable! I have been self employed all of my working life, (bar a year or two here and there), and I have never had a complaint about my conduct or demenour. Some people!

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
British Standards:

There should be no appreciable difference in level across joints
(commonly called “lipping”) and the maximum deviation between
tile surfaces either side of a joint, including movement joints, should
be as follows.
a) Joints less than 6 mm wide, 1 mm.
b) Joints 6 mm or more wide, 2 mm.

So if it is only 1/2mm you're fine, quite how you can catch your toe on 1/2mm is another thing.

As above! Can't get better than the good old standards.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Issues in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
We are having some issues with our newly laid tiles. Within several weeks of being laid, we...
Replies
Views
David John
D
I'm having my kitchen renovated and the tiler came last week and did the floor tiles. They're...
Replies
Views
My tiled bathroom floor is new but I have moisture seemingly seeping up through the grouting in...
Replies
Views
hi all newby here...we have purchased a 1970 bungalow, turning into a bit of a nightmare...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.