Discuss It will only take you 2 hours! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
A couple of weeks ago a chap phoned me as he was after a tiler to finish the job he started in his Mums bathroom. ‘I can’t be bothered to finish tiling her floor’ he said. He also said that his mate is a tiler and that his mate said that it would only take a couple of hours to cut/lay/grout approx. 4sqm of floor tiles.

He rang me because his mate was too busy to the job. I told the guy I was booked up for two weeks. ‘Can’t you come over this evening?’ he asked. Again stressing that it was only 2 hours work and he will pay me for 2 hours labour!!

What are the tiles going onto I asked. 6mm hardboard he replied. I told him to rip it up and call in another tiler.

This week an old chap called me. ‘I know a bit about tiling, this job will only take you 2 hours’ he said. ‘You will have to remove some tiles in my kitchen, then replace them with 6 inch white ceramics. Cutting under the cabinets and cutting around a serving hatch. 60 tiles in total with about 40 of them needing to be cut’. I told him that there is no such thing as a 2 hour job in tiling. ‘Have you got the tiles on site?’ I asked. ‘Oh no, you will have to go and buy them’ he said. So you would like me to visit your home and check out what needs to be done. Then go and buy the tiles/adhesive etc. Set up, cut/lay/grout for 2 hours pay? ‘I don’t mind paying over the top’ he said. So I said that I would have to charge him a days labour plus the materials. He was horrified at the suggestion, and called it extortionate. Bearing in mind that this conversation took place last Saturday, and he wanted the work completed on the Sunday as the decorators were starting Monday!

Some people!

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
went to look at a floor today which had failed,a right mess,it had been tiled on ,wait for it..........................................................................,wait for it........................................................................................................ wait for it....................................................

bloody laminate,laminate i ask ya

D

Daz

Some idiot called me yesterday telling me that he had a small bathroom that needs tiling and it will only take me a half day, and could we meet this morning at 10.30am to go through it?

I explained that I work during the days so could probably organise an evening during the week but seeing as I can't start the work until November there is no urgency.

The donkey kept waffling on that it was a small job and that we need to meet urgently and it will only take me a few hours. I eventually lost patience and said that if he is so sure that it will only take me a few hours, why doesn't he spend a day doing it himself?

Thankfully, numbnuts called this morning to say that he has found someone else to do the job :thumbsup:.

I love it when customers tell you how long the job will take and what they will pay :incazzato::mad2:.

Daz

D

Deleted member 9966

went to look at a floor today which had failed,a right mess,it had been tiled on ,wait for it..........................................................................,wait for it........................................................................................................ wait for it....................................................

did you get photo's?

peteablard

TF
Arms
Cheshire

I had to do some repairs in a car showroom last year, I took up the broken tiles to find someone had latexed and laid the on top of carpet tiles! They weren't in an area the cars drove over and had lasted nearly 10 years!!

R

Rob Z

One of my "favorites" was from several years ago....lady called and about the first thing she said was "What's your square foot rate"?

I said "I don't have a square foot rate, and even if I did, it would vary greatly, depending on what is getting installed and what the substrate prep needs to be".

She then proceeded to argue with me about how that shouldn't make any difference. I should say, she tried to argue with me, but I didn't argue, so she ended up arguing with herself.:lol:

She told me that a real tile professional should be able to handle anything that a customer buys, and be able to install it for the same rate.:glasses:

I thanked her for her call, and said I would pass on the opportunity to work for her. She got nasty and said that I would be calling her back to do her work, once I thought about how wrong I was for not charging a flat rate.

Right.....

:juggle2:

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to It will only take you 2 hours! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, With a kitchen renovation, Mrs choose the white mirror quartz floor tiles from a...
Replies
Views
Hi there, I’m in a bit of a pickle. I hired a tiler to do our tiling and initially he told us...
Replies
Views
L
I would like some advise. We booked a tiler for a new build with quite a lot of work to be done...
Replies
Views
  • Poll
Have you ever worked for a National Tile Supplier or even just smaller big chain tile suppliers...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Sean Kelly

Arms
TF
Ruislip

Thread Information

Title
It will only take you 2 hours!
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.