Discuss Its impossible to win!!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

Perfect Tiling

Hi all out there. Just found out that two jobs that Iv'e priced recently I have not got as I have priced too high...the reason is....I am the only one doing things right?? I use hardibacker when tiling onto floors but other tilers around here use 6mm ply (because they always have done). They get a carpenter to lay the ply by just nailing it down (no priming on reverse or edges) and then come in and tile it...I prime the floor, put down a layer of adhesive, then hardibacker and screw at 250mm centres leaving a 2-3mm gap which I cover with mesh tape fill with adhesive and sponge level. So the other tiler is bound to be cheaper...and the company selling the tiles says that is how they want it done so they get the sale...if it goes wrong its down to the fitters!!! What is a proper tiler to do...do I stick to my guns and do everything correct (my company name is Perfect Tiling) telling the company that they are wrong (biting the hand that sometimes feeds me)...or do things wrong to get the work hoping that floors wont fail???

C

CJ CERAMICS

It is a very tricky situation and a hard question to answer. In an ideal world the guys who pride themselves on their work and only use the best SHOULD ALWAYS get the job and the cowboys should be signing on. But sadly an awful lot of people are now going down the cheapest quote route. A lot of good tradesmen are losing business and money by keeping their standards. Me personally I have refused to lower my standards and working practices to maintain my rep and can honestly say that i too am losing work because of this...but i would rather find another job than go down the cowboy route and take money for a job that i knew was substandard.

I know that this probably gives you no help what-so-ever with your question, but i feel that it is only yourself that can answer this question Honestly as each individual circumstance is different and you have to do what is best for you and yours.
chris

S

Stewart

I give a full and itemised quote with a schedule of works (sounds overkill, but really easy to do) then explain to the customer, why I charge what I do and if they get a cheaper quote they need to compare it with mine to see exactly what they're getting for their money. Nine times out of ten, they go with me, because they have all the info they need in their quote.

You'll never stop the customer going with cowboys if they are motivated by price alone, and to be honest, they're not the type of customers you want. Stick to your guns and the quality customers will soon get to know of your reputation for only doing a quality job properly.

Created on iPhone.....

D

DHTiling

It is a very tricky situation and a hard question to answer. In an ideal world the guys who pride themselves on their work and only use the best SHOULD ALWAYS get the job and the cowboys should be signing on. But sadly an awful lot of people are now going down the cheapest quote route. A lot of good tradesmen are losing business and money by keeping their standards. Me personally I have refused to lower my standards and working practices to maintain my rep and can honestly say that i too am losing work because of this...but i would rather find another job than go down the cowboy route and take money for a job that i knew was substandard.

I know that this probably gives you no help what-so-ever with your question, but i feel that it is only yourself that can answer this question Honestly as each individual circumstance is different and you have to do what is best for you and yours.
chris

I give a full and itemised quote with a schedule of works (sounds overkill, but really easy to do) then explain to the customer, why I charge what I do and if they get a cheaper quote they need to compare it with mine to see exactly what they're getting for their money. Nine times out of ten, they go with me, because they have all the info they need in their quote.

You'll never stop the customer going with cowboys if they are motivated by price alone, and to be honest, they're not the type of customers you want. Stick to your guns and the quality customers will soon get to know of your reputation for only doing a quality job properly.

Created on iPhone.....

Good advice lads.. :)

T

TheWrightTiler

its the same as a punter stating that they will sign a waiver if anything goes wrong, this paper is only good for wiping your backside as you the professional installer should know the correct installation guidlines for substrate prep and tiling prep and if you dont do it right, paper or not the law is on the consumers side, not the installers,

many a time ive walked from a job due to the clients insistance that prep be missed or done cheaply, id rather walk than pay again if it goes belly up,

i know in these times money is tight but that should not come at the price of a good job, believe me you will end up well out of pocket, as dumb as they might act most punters are well clued up on the law thanks to cowboy builders, rogue traders etc,

if the customers want it done cheaply trust me they are not the customers you want, get it in writing as stewart says, an itemised quote with a schedule of works saying exactly what they will be getting for their money

you tell me its gonna cost 1200 for my bog to be tiled, i ask what, how much
you tell me its because you use hardie and tanking and that although its a bit more tanking saves money due to leaks and hardie doesnt rot like p board and that my tiles and grout require sealing therefore saving my family time in cleaning im gonna be christ this mans thinking of my family in the longterm not just after a quick buck im gonna go with you,

its in the name of the game some you win some you lose and the old saying do it right first time and then the 6 ps

prior planning prevents **** poor performance

andy

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Its impossible to win!!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi everyone I am building my own house and now I'm ready to tile the floor downstairs. I have...
Replies
Views
Bathroom being refurbished. A load of things have been rushed like some loosely rollered (not...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am a keen DIYer and have chosen an Impey Aqua Dec 4 and waterguard tanking kit. The Aqua...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Its impossible to win!!!
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.