UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Its nice how it can work out in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

Gazzer

A few weeks back I got a call from an unknown person asking if I could give them a price on a job. Well I turned up and it turned out that the guy was a general builder and a very nice approachable chap he was too. So he took me around the house and showed be a Hall floor, A kitchen floor inc Utility room, then upstairs a wet room.
So i took measurements and dug deeper as to how they got my number. Seems that Bob ( Yes honest , the builder) knew another builder I have worked for and i came reccomended but there was a twist....in another part of the house there was another bathroom and shower but it had been started by another tiler....well they showed me the bathroom and I thought that they were going to ask me to finish it. But they said that the original tiler was coming and going and they needed someone to just come and tile. Anyway the bathroom loked ok from a distance but on closer inspection I noticed a few things, he had started full tile from the corners of the walls instead of centring out, Mosaic borders were all over the place and he had used Plastic trim on the Travertine ( which looked bad) and was not sitting flush anyway. Then I noticed that where the tiles had eventually had to meet up around the room , they were out of line :yikes:

Well I didnt say much but asked about the trim and suggested bullnosing edges in the room where I was to work but as there were only 2 vertical edges they decided against and went with trim again. Not wanting to kick up too much of a fuss I went along with it.

All Tiles were supplied by TileGiant and I obtained all adhesives and grout from TileGiant too.
The job was a dream, all trades on site were a pleasure to work with...none of the usual hassles. It was then I found out that the builder was acting as a general builder and the plumber was the real boss ( apart from the owner of the house)...All the trades knew each other and I then realised that they work together on a regular basis.
Any issues I came across were handled correct in my opinion. If I brought up a problem, they asked how I would handle it and they listened.
Anyway to cut the whole thing short, over the time I worked there, Eveyne was impressed with my work .The client was most enthusiastic with me, especially as I had offered to work the Saturday to get a room ready for the plumber on the Monday. the fact that I had offered to collect extra tiles on my way home as I passed TileGiant.
I then saw the client looking at the wastage from the Travertine, "such a shame it cant be used in some way" He said.
Well he went away and I was thinking the same about the waste and then I thought that i would cut all the waste up into 100mm squares, This would give them enough to use for a splashback or 2 . By the time I finished I had cut almost 250 squares ( 2.5m2) Not a great deal but enough.
The client returned and I showed him the cuts and he was delighted with the reuse of the waste.
So on the last few days I was at the house I gave out 3 business cards and then the main Plumber asked for my number as he had a job on with 5 bathrooms and probably a swimming pool and could I go and price it up. Well of course I could but I thought right away that all that would be too much but if I could get someone else to do the pool then it would be helping someone else out. Of course I am thinking of Gooner for the pool but need to see the job 1st.
Anyway its crazy that sometimes I sit here in the week without so much as a phone call or even a sniff of work and then it all goes crazy.....i know have 3 smallish private jobs waiting for dates I can start, inbetween I am subbing to another firm on 3 fire stations plus i have this one to price up this week.
It can all change overnight ...bothways I know but it feels so much better saying that I am very busy than snapping the clients hand off and saying aI can start their job right away. ....I sleep better too :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Gazzer

Neale.. this is excellent news.. So so pleased for you mate.

Are you not up to tiling the pool.. not hard you know..:smilewinkgrin:..

I like the idea of recycling the waste.. will have to remember that one..:thumbsup:

Yeah tiled a few pools over the years but I know that there will probably be a time limit on the job. Just thought it would be could Karma if i could help out someone else and of course I know the job would look mint :thumbsup:

D

Diamond Pool Finishers

that is great NeWS for you NEAL!! i really hope it all comes off for you mate :thumbsup:and i can't thank you enough for thinking of ME when the pool was mentioned mate!! just for the record i would love to do swimming pools on behalf of any of the tilers on this forum or there customer's, just PM me and we can work something out!! as for what DAVE said i for one would never recommend a tiler to just jump in and attempt a swimming pool without anybody to teach them /guild them on a few job's first!!!i can assure you i have had to strip and re-mosaic some of the attempt's, and this is said not trying to Belittle any of the top tilers on here :thumbsup:also you can take to much work on yourself and put yourself under to-much pressure , it's great to know there are great tilers on this forum that might be-able to help you out!! i'am going on a bit here :yikes: the beer !!!:8: thank's again Neal for thinking of ME :thumbsup:

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Its nice how it can work out in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi, Looking for advice mainly on how much adhesive I should remove from between the tiles in a...
Replies
Views
Hi everybody, I've come up with a new way that I'd like the forum to work. I've built a quick...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.