UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Job In Bermondsea in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

Protilers

Went to start a job today in bermondsea......
its a rush job for a really nice woman......but her kitchen fitter is coming on MONDAY!!!!!
so no weekend for me!!!!!.....or my mate POTATOES'..........oh well.........

first thing this morning.......lets take the kitchen out.......and No the beer in the background was not from us........HONEST!!!!

IMG_1466.jpg

we finally got the kitchen out and the old floor up...this is what we found!

IMG_1467.jpg

some bright spark in the past decided that cutting 8x2 timber down to 2x2 and throwing in some joist hangers would be a good idea!........

IMG_1468.jpg

and this is what happens when you do that......can you see that massive crack through the timber
where the timber is cut?...........we really need to do something about that!!!!!!!!

IMG_1469.jpg

so here is my fix.......galvanised plates inserted into the joist angers (both sides) and then screwed

with 20 screws per side!!!!!!.......

IMG_1468-1.jpg

we did manage to get the first layer of ply down.............but more on that tommorrow!

all the best

Lee

P

Protilers

whys your mate called potatoes?.....dose he 'chip' a lot of tiles...

pain of a job there, but im sure you'll get there...

he is called POTATOES because he is irish.................and another mate of ours is a painter and me and POTATOES call him STRAWBERRY....because he is ginger (strawberry blond n'all!)........

and another running gag is me calling them two part of my 5 a day!!!!!...........

hehehehehehehe

they call me "LITTLE LEGS"........hehhehhehheheheeheheh

all the best

Lee

P

Protilers

Evening all...

here is what happened today........

IMG_1471.jpg

here is the "sole plate" ..it is screwed to the 18mm timber from above and packed with wedges on the concrete side.....

what I did not take a photo of (stupidly) is on the concrete side we stuck down noggins with PU Adhesive at 400mm centres..as well as screwing down the joist rips...........and screwed through into the noggins and joists on the concrete part!!!!

IMG_1472.jpg

all the first lot of 18mm ply is in and noggined......so all thet is left is to fill the "joins" in the ply with silicone......like this:

IMG_1473.jpg

run out of grey...(it was a tube bashing around in the van).....and moved on to white......that was the first layer of 18mm in...
then:

IMG_1474.jpg

this is the second layer of ply...also 18mm....it bridges all the joints oin the first layer and is also given a silicone expansion joint......

IMG_1475.jpg

here you can see the two layers of ply!..all screwed at 200mm centers.......

IMG_1476.jpg

job done and rock solid...........NEXT!!!!

all the best

Lee... from Protilers!

P

Protilers

Very thorough prep work Lee, top job !

thanks mate...It was what I feel was needed for this floor......next step will be kitchen fitted...(not by me)....tommorrow....and then I will come back and level the floor with SLC..then install a decoupler.....and then install 1200x600x 4.8mm thin tiles.......in polished white I believe........we will see........

all the best mate

Lee.....ps......are we still on for this week?

P

Protilers

Evening all......been back from work about an hour or so.........been back to this job today........and here is what happened!

The ply floor me and my pal installed was rock solid....but it was not flat...or level......so I started with the latex.....

IMG_1494-1.jpg

IMG_1495.jpg

IMG_1496.jpg

IMG_1497.jpg

Hours later it was dry but there was still a bit of a dip in the middle of the floor I was not happy with soooooo........

IMG_1498.jpg

hours after that I went back to work and installed the ditra as it will save me hours tommorrow......and I have another job to go to on weds!!!!!! aaaarrrgggghhhh!!!!!

IMG_1501.jpg

IMG_1502.jpg

Managed to get that installed but half way through I needed to "jump" across the adhesive.......mid flight my head hit an upper unit in the kitchen!!!!......

IMG_1504.jpg

OUCH!!!!!

nite nite

Lee

Attachments

• IMG_1499.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 76
P

Protilers

Evening all........just home from work....here is how it went:

stupidly (or maybe due to concussion).....I forgot to take photos first thing.........or maybe I was in a hurry?

who knows...........but:

IMG_1505.jpg

IMG_1507.jpg

IMG_1508.jpg

IMG_1510.jpg

the job is complete all but the step to the french doors......I was going to a 90m2 floor tommorrow....but I have since found out that the builder needs another day!!!!!....DOH!!!!!

so I guess I will fix the stop in tommorrow!

all the best

Lee

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Job In Bermondsea in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

My mum is having her bathroom fitted and she sent me some photos and my partner pointed out that...
Replies
Views
Hello, as a novice, I need some advice. Our landscapers have been doing a fantastic job so far...
Replies
Views
Posted a couple of times for advice a few weeks back, the outcome of which was to scrap my plan...
Replies
Views
Hi all, first post. I’m currently doing a job on my house where we’ve moved the kitchen and...
Replies
Views
Hi, We are in the process of having a new kitchen fitted and as part of the job we included...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.