Discuss Job timescales? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

STEVO

TF
stockport
Fellas, and girl racer!

I was just thinking about how long it takes most of you guys to do a job? Let's say a bathroom in ceramics, 200x250 for example, 20m2 on the walls including a window with a bath and say 3-4m2 on the floor of 300x300. This would probably take me 4 days, which i guess is a little slow. I know i perhaps fuss a bit too much to make sure its right, but i just wonder how slow i am?

And what about another, say 25m2 of 600x300 porcelain, with perhaps some mosaics thrown in somewhere, and same tile on floor 4m2. This would probably take me 5 days!

I dont know how to speed up. I'm sure it doesn't help that i am largely self taught and have not had thee benefit of being trained by a seasoned time served pro. Thus i am probably missing out on tips and methods to help my speed.
Thoughts welcomed please!

C

charlie1

Its bulkheads and pipe boxes that takes the time. Set yourself targets throughout the job eg, tile the main wall in a given time 2-3 hours. Don't want to be controversial but time is important... Very important, yes the quality is the most important but the time factor is not far behind. There are lots if things you can do to save time but in guessing you might be looking in to your work too much so my advice to you would be stop looking and keep tiling, if you trust yourself and your levels are good then you will be fine... You wont be long in finding out if something is wrong if your tiling to a good speed.

D

Dougs Third Go

a lot depends on wether it's a blank canvas or not. It's not only the prep that eats into your time but also other considerations like, "is this the customers only working bathroom, if so, potware out at start of day and back in at end of day", all these things take time, and sometimes you have to chuck in this half an hour a day gratis, as the next guy that quotes won't have thought of it and gives a stupid low price.

Fellas, and girl racer!

I was just thinking about how long it takes most of you guys to do a job? Let's say a bathroom in ceramics, 200x250 for example, 20m2 on the walls including a window with a bath and say 3-4m2 on the floor of 300x300. This would probably take me 4 days, which i guess is a little slow. I know i perhaps fuss a bit too much to make sure its right, but i just wonder how slow i am?

And what about another, say 25m2 of 600x300 porcelain, with perhaps some mosaics thrown in somewhere, and same tile on floor 4m2. This would probably take me 5 days!

I dont know how to speed up. I'm sure it doesn't help that i am largely self taught and have not had thee benefit of being trained by a seasoned time served pro. Thus i am probably missing out on tips and methods to help my speed.
Thoughts welcomed please!

Hi Stevo, I have recently done a full bathroom, all walls in 320x250 ceramics, floor 5m2. Floor in 280x360.

prep included stripping all walls of paint (85/90%) & primed.
Floor to be ripped up and primed.
+ few other bits Took prep to about 3/4day
Took 3 days to fix and grout walls, 1 day to lay & grout floor (grouted when rapid had gone off, so Large break inbetween)
The hours were about 10-10.30am too 5-6pm each day.

So took me 4 3/4 days to complete.

T

Tiler Blackpool

Cheers guys. i do focus on doing a quality job and have a good reputation. Just struggling to make it all pay at the month end!! but i suppose we all are.

Im exactly the same Stevo. Ive been tiling for six years and only quickened a little!! cant charge any more though as theres too many tilers round here out of work and will undercharge and get the job. Luckily ive built up a good reputation with a couple of the suppliers and ex customers who spread the good word. would rather have a reputation for being good than one for being cheap.works out in the long run.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Job timescales? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Hi all Having a bit of a mare; after having my last shower installation botched (but thankfully...
Replies
Views
Perfect Tiling
P
Hi guys Relatively new to this game and hoping for a bit of guidance on pricing. Am quoting...
Replies
Views
One Day
O
Hi All I'm looking for some advice from the experts and hope you can help. I've just had a...
Replies
Views
R
Hi all - first post here :). I need expert advice on how to proceed.... I have hired a...
Replies
Views
ReX83
R

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB