UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss just registered in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

micko76

I am like so many of the other members here in that I am in a dead end job and want to do something that is rewarding ie tiling. I live in Belfast and have decided to do the PTS 4 week course in Warrington. I am not too sure whether to keep my current job on and work p/t as a tiler or, would it be possible to take up the tiling pretty much straight away? Common sense says that I should do the tiling part time until I have built up experience, however I could only do evenings and weekdays, this would affect any jobs that I put in a tender for. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Cheers:)

C

Concept PHT

Personally, I don't know anybody that has been on the PTS course. But as LR says, go for a course that offers some kind of recognised qualification from it, such as the ICA (Intermediate Construction Award), which is the foundation you will need to go ahead and get your NVQ2 in Tile Fixing.

Be aware that some trainers state they offer recognised quals in the form of 'modules' towards the NVQ. Which is all well and good, but the modules they give you are the bone ones like 'Employment Relations' and 'Health and Safety', which you can pass anywhere with some common sense and by doing your CSCS test. Nothing really to do with tiling.....

You will have to shop around carefully, and don't always go for the cheapest - go for the one that is going to give you EXACTLY what you are looking for.

I think there are only a couple of places in the UK that offer qualifications in tiling. BAL, Step to Training and very soon, Chase Tiling Academy.

UKTT Darren

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Subscribed
North East
North East Tiling Training and some other training centres offer a Nationally Recognised qualification in tiling, I am a qualified teacher and NVQ tiler assessor level 1,2,3. City and Guilds NVQ is just one organisation that is recognised as a standard of training and when you pass a NVQ it just means that you have been tutored to that standard, As i said before there are many other organisations that have the equivalent standard of learning making their certificate worth having, I,m not saying its a nvq just the same standard as learning. The only way you can get full NVQ is by attending colleges or by doing work based assessments out on the jobs and gaining the evidence that is required to complete your potfolio of units

A

Alsager Tiling

I did the 4 week course at PTS in October, it was at their Essex branch. Although i have nothing to compare it with, in my view it was excellent, and i don't think personally that you could get all the information you require in anything less than 4 weeks.

I have started as self-employed and i am doing ok, with some contract work for a flooring company and a few private jobs.

Rgds
Andy

M

micko76

hmmmmnnn decisions, decisions! I think I fell into the trap of believing what the tiling courses websites said, ie become a self employed tiler in 4 weeks. I am 30, married and have a mortgage so I have to start earning asap and cannot afford to spend time trying to gain experience whilst earning next to nothing. If I do a 4 week course it will more than likely mean me having to leave my current job, so I will need to earn money from tiling, quickly! Would anyone recommend offering my services to local established tilers, say for one day a week, to build up my experience/confidence? Sorry for all the questions, I am just trying to cover all bases. Thanks for all the advice so far

M

micko76

I had not even thought of that! It would be a means to an end, could give me the chance to build up my experience and confidence. Driving is no bother, I am willing to go where the work is. I will check out the local agencies in N. Ireland. I have friends who are builders, plumbers and developers and I intend to put myself forward for work with them however I want to cover all bases and the agency work will help.Cheers for the advice

T

T & P

Micko

Have you thought of splitting the four weeks up all of the training centres I have spoken to will let you do any combination of weeks. I'm in a similar position I could not get 4 weeks off straight from work the only I could do it would be to leave. But I can have upto 2 weeks off at a time so that is what I am doing until I have done all my tiling training plus a week of plastering and maybe even a week of plumbing. Best of luck what ever you decide. Also thanks L & R Ceramics for the agency advice.:)

T

T & P

i could suggest if you do this four week course which im sure it sounds better than four days ,if you can sit for four weeks then when you have done it try registering with a couple of agencys,obviously you must drive and 99% of these agencys will take you on but you will need a couple of decent references to prove you do have the ability and youll probably find yourself on a council refurb project or a newbuild somewhere but you must be prepared to travel and they pay by the hour ,in my area its roughly £14 sheets an hour which isnt bad but i think you have to do a certain amount of meterage per day i.e 10 meters per day or something along them lines ,if you want some numbers for some agencys thats no probs kiddo;)

L & R Ceramics

Great advice mate I take it you need a CSCS to take this route:)

L

L & R CERAMICS

this cscs thing is a load of codswallop but i do see why they are doing it ,as for people asking for it youll probably find its not really essential at the moment ,you can still get on sites without it ,its the health and safety one that youll probably need first ,it costs about £35 notes for the test and then the card ,some companies will even put you through this test and then take the dough back out of your wages,so i wouldnt really worry about it

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to just registered in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Been advised to move this post to the uk forum, didn’t realise it was in the USA forum Would...
Replies
Views
Hi I am thinking of training to gain city and guilds on weekends I’m just wondering is there...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Grouting my shower walls in a few days. I tried to do everything by the book, which I did. Water...
Replies
Views
Hello, first post, asking about career change and possible entry route into the industry. I know...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.