UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Just starting out, a few questions in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

tafkap68

Hi, newbie on here so be gentle with me!

I'm just starting out on the self employed route and have a couple of questions which I hope can be answered:

Guaranteeing work - I want to offer my customers a 5 year guarantee and need advice as to how to word the guarantee on my invoices. I want to keep myself covered against things out of my control and problems which didn't arise from my workmanship.

Tanking - when offering tanking to customers what is the most concise way of explaining the benefits. If a customer asks what tanking does, how do I explain it in laymans terms.

Thanks!

T

trevortine

I would just explain to them that your work and your work only is guaranteed. So many times i have went into bathrooms where a joiner has put ply down with a hand full of ring shanks and its not the required thickness. I insist on screwing every 6 inches. Things like that can let you down if not addressed ie floor movement leading to failed grout and adhesive joints. As for the tanking mate , it basically gives you a watertight barrier between the adhesive and wall whether it be plaster or plasterboard, a must in shower areas.

C

Concept PHT

I would be very careful with the guarantee thing too. 5 years is a bit long in my opinion. Although the workmanship should be A1, you may be creating a rod for your own back when it comes to Mr Smith saying he doesn't want tanking on a power shower area, (to cut costs) then the tiles fall off after 12 months. First person he is going to blame is you. It all then starts to affect your reputation, even though its not your fault.

I would only offer a guarantee on work that is being carried out to British Standards, and if your not working to that standard (i.e the customer doesn't want to pay for a correct job to keep costs down), then offer a very shortened version with an explanation why.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Just starting out, a few questions in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hey everyone. Hope you are well. I want to learn how to tile and do a fairly basic bit of...
Replies
Views
Hello, first post, asking about career change and possible entry route into the industry. I know...
Replies
Views
Hello, this is my first post so here goes, advice needed. It was decided that I should renovate...
Replies
Views
Grouting my shower walls in a few days. I tried to do everything by the book, which I did. Water...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.