UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Just want to cry - what do i do in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

U

unhappy

Just to be on the safe side i purchased all 20m2 of the wall tiles Wickes had on sale in the store and 3m2 of mosaics for my 16m2 bathroom, This cost me £265 but Best be on the safe side i thought. I then hired what i thought from the website was an established company of Tilers to tile my bathroom only it turned out it was actually a one man band and he quoted me £452 to put the tiles on.

I paid him £80 for materials when i hired him and He turned up on the Friday and Saturday and put a fair few tiles on the wall, during which time he also got an extra £102 out of me for more materials but when he left on Saturday tea time i noticed i had a bowed wall, uneven tiles, no window trim fitted and the strip of mosaics he had fitted for the shower rail were like an ocean wave with little or no grount line down the side of them in places.

on Monday when he returned I told him i was not happy because i believed i had hired a professional therefore i wanted a professional finish. he was not happy but in fairness on Monday he removed several tiles and said he would put it right. He came back tuesday and did some more but he was obviously upset by my initial reaction to his work because he seemed to be just opening boxes of tiles for the sake of it ( i have one full box of 7 tiles left and 3 loose tiles - not sure there is even enough to finish the job now because on my count up i need 12) he was using his grinding in the bathroom to cut tiles and he left my brand new shower tray gunked up with adhesive and tools

On Wednesday morning he rang to say his van was broke so he would keep me informed. I heard nothing from him Thursday and on Friday he rang to say he might get to me in the afternoon but he didnt

Thing is i am concerned that i might not have enough tiles to finish the job, that a tile is missing off one of the mosaics The tile trim around the window is loose and he has left adhesive to go off on the wall where tiles need to go and that most of the tiles he has taken off look like he has used dot and dab on them whilst the rest dont even appear to of been touched by adhesive.

I really dont know what to do. i live alone and feel a bit worried about this whole situation. any advice would be much appreciated.

U

unhappy

I found his website on the Internet when i was looking around for a Local Tiling Company. his website and pics are very impressive. he claims to be a company of qualified tilers working in Yorkshire and says he has references and Insurance. I didnt want to hire a general builder or a cowboy. I know now i should of asked to see the references but i didnt ask so that was my faul in fairness.

nybor62

TF
rotherham
I spent quite a while looking around on the internet at Local companies. I came accross this company that said it was run by a team of professional tilers that were insured and had references. I looked at the work the video portfolio on the website and it looked like the sort of company i wanted to hire

i dont understand why u dont have enough tiles , the amount u bought should have been more than enough, have u paid him in full yet, i hope not
tell him your concerns , and give him the chance to put it right , i am based in yorkshire and it makes my blood boil that so called tilers doing things like this ,

were abouts are u based , if not to far i would take a look at the job for u and give advice free of charge

G

Gazzer

Well for a start its general opinion that if you are unhappy with his work you must give him 1st chance to but the work right. it does sound though that you do not have the faith in this man.
I would contact him regarding this situation and explain that you want the work done to a agreed standard . on no account should any more money change hands.
Only when you are fully satisfied should a further payment be made.
Other than try and help you out with another tiler or even see if we have one local to you who would come and advise on the quality of the job and whether its feasible to rectify the work. I cant see what more we can do other than lend support via the forums.
If you have any photos of the work then that would help anyone who will be commenting.

kilty55

TF
Arms
edinburgh
hi there take a deep breath and have a stiff drink!

2nd of all dont let him back in your house,you have already asked him to rectify his work on the 1st day and the further 4 days he was meant to be there sounds like a pile of nonsense to be honest.

i would also ask him for all the money back for the tiles and materials and state why,if he isnt going to play ball advise him you will be taking the matter further and seek full compensation through the court

take photographs of all his work and the state the place was left in.

sounds like hes not coming back,which is nog ood if hes ruined your tiles/

btw did he use tubbed adhesive if so try removing a tile or two they may be salvagable?

A

Andrew Case

I can't believe people would do this. I'm not even trained yet but couldn't sleep at night k owing I had carried out work to what sounds like a very poor standard.
If you cannot do a job well, don't do it!
Like the others have said, font hand over anymore money. If he does come back perhaps there is someone who could be there with u for moral support? U say u live on ur own so I imagine it's daunting tackling him alone

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Just want to cry - what do i do in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
I recently got several loose/hollow tiles rebonded on my bathroom floor. Having left with...
Replies
Views
Grouting my shower walls in a few days. I tried to do everything by the book, which I did. Water...
Replies
Views
Hi, Hope everyone is well. I'm after some advice please. I'm currently having my bathroom tiled...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.